Adopted a kitten. He hisses at me and hides all day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vicsin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I wanted to post a bit of an update. Simon is making a little progress getting more comfortable here. It's been two weeks now and he has a new favorite hiding spot- under the couch . I was surprised he fit himself under there but there is actually a lot of room once you pass the small opening and it's all wood boards (IKEA couch) so nothing dangerous and he can't get himself stuck. The bad thing is he's still hiding but the good thing is he's right under where my bf and I hang out and watch tv all day so he is forced to get used to the sounds and our smell and voices. We started playing with him under there with a little feather toy and he gets really into it swatting it with both paws sticking them outside the couch.even got him to come out of the couch with the toy though he ran straight to his room to eat and make poops. He comes out around 10/11 pm every night and will eat a can of wet food and use his litter box while we are still on the couch. He comes back under the couch after he does his thing. He really loves it under there. He plays with a mouse toy and a bottle cap under there. He will also eat some dry food during the night if he's really hungry. I change food and litter every morning before work. When I get home from work I give him a little treat. The first 2 times he was scared to take the treat from me so I left the room and then he ate it. Past two days I put the treat down and lay down watching it and don't let him have the treat unless he eats it in front of me which he does. He sticks his little face out from under the couch and eats it up. Haven't heard any hissing for a while. Last night he was playing so much with his toys under the couch and on top of it while we were in bed with the door open. So I think Simon is definitely getting more comfortable with the his new environment but still not ready to approach us. I'm gonna try to be patient and wait him out. This is the first time the little guy has some stability in his life. Maybe in two more weeks he will be more out and about. Let me know what you guys think :)

Last edited:

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!

Can you show us some pictures of lovely Simon!?

vicsin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
View media item 397300This is Simon! Last night we had an intense play session with his mouse he kept knocking it around under and out of the couch and I push it back to him and he'd snatch it and play and then shove it out again. He was so into it he stuck his face out and both paws even though I'm sitting right there. Also gave him treats. After 20 minutes of this he came out to go use his litter and eat and then came back. Hopefully play will get him closer to me and confident enough to roam the house and approach us ! I feel like we're bonding even though for now he's just a cute little beast that lives under my couch :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just came across this thread. Glad to see things are starting to come along with Simon. Love the picture. He's a very handsome boy.   Looking forward to your next update. 

leen and alice

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my such a cute cat! I came across this video on youtube maybe it would help!

catmanandrobin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't be discouraged if its only been a week it can take months or even years

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is Simon! Last night we had an intense play session with his mouse he kept knocking it around under and out of the couch and I push it back to him and he'd snatch it and play and then shove it out again. He was so into it he stuck his face out and both paws even though I'm sitting right there. Also gave him treats. After 20 minutes of this he came out to go use his litter and eat and then came back. Hopefully play will get him closer to me and confident enough to roam the house and approach us ! I feel like we're bonding even though for now he's just a cute little beast that lives under my couch
What a lovely kitty!  I'm glad to hear that he is becoming more comfortable with you, it sounds like you will be just fine together.  The treats are a good idea.  About catnip, though...please be aware that some cats never respond so it, and kittens don't usually until they are about six months old.  It can also make some cats *more*, rather than less, hyper and aggressive.  That wears off, of course, but it's not a sure thing that it will make him feel relaxed and cuddly.  It is a good way to encourage cats who don't care for other toys to play, if they are not among those who seem to be immune to its charms (I've met only one or two like this, but they do exist.)

Please continue to keep us posted!

vicsin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So its been just about 4 weeks now and Simon is doing good for the most part. Been consistently playing with him while hes under the couch for the past 2 weeks and giving him treats. The past couple of days i take out his wet food right after play time and feed him some from a spoon. Trying to coax him out from under the couch with it and he sticks his head out a little to eat it. I leave the rest of the food near the couch so he has to come out and eat it in front of my bf and I. He's been pretty good about it. Yesterday we lifted the front of the couch a bit higher (we have these extra risers that go under it) this way he may be able to come out easier and more likely to come out during play time. Currently to come out he has to get really low i don't even know how he does it haha. We tried to do this when he left to use the litter box but he knew something was up he came running back under. It was kind of funny. Eventually we just put the risers there while he was under really quickly. Hes better off this way even though it mightve freaked him out a bit. Today I played with him and I can actually see 80% of him. He lays on his side and sticks his head out tail is out and all 4 paws its adorable. He did get hissy when I got near cause he's not used to seeing so much of me. He'll get over it though. We played and at one point he stuck his entire head out! 

It's frustrating that he is still scared of me but 4 weeks isn't much time and only the past 2 weeks of this have been consistent positive steps. I ordered some Feliway and a cool cat tree that should come next week. Hopefully this helps him!

I realized this cat may take quite a few months to warm up to me and that's fine. Unfortunately we may have another set back cause I found out that I have to move in the next month or two. Landlord is doing renovations unexpectedly so I'm apartment hunting. That's why I got the Feliway. I'm gonna put some in his carrier and start getting him used to being in there by putting it out for him. It sucks but hopefully Simon will get through it. Furniture set up will stay the same so hopefully he adjusts well. And he will realize even though his territory might change his family is gonna stay with him. 

Any tips on the move would be appreciated :)

Should I continue to let him under the couch (his comfort zone)? Should i limit hiding spots? Should I make more accessible hiding spots like boxes around the place for him? If he takes to his tree this month that would be great it has a little cave in the middle perch. So we will see what happens.

Last edited:

vicsin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wanted to share another update in case anyone is following. Simon is doing much better!! We still got some way to go but lots of progress has been made.
10 days ago Simon had an accident. I woke up and I smelled poop under my bed. Checked it out and Simon had diarrhea. This happened in his first week here but I didn't think much of it because he's been having normal poop in the box since. Time to take Simon to the vet. Simon cried in his carrier but didn't put up a fight about anything. He was a very good boy and let the vet do a full exam. Turns out Simon has a parasite (giardia) and ring worm on his head !!! We started the treatment last week -antifungal cream and liquid metronidazole that I have to syringe into his mouth twice a day for 10 days. I was pretty disappointed to hear All of this but Simon has been doing well with it. My bf lifts the couch and takes him out. He hisses initially but has been cooperative. Has never tried to lash out at us. We pet him lots and give him treats. He actually likes the cream he purs when I put it on and itch his head. He hates the metronidazole of course and tries to get away but yesterday was the last day of it. Since the medication I feel like he's been getting better ! He used to only play from under the couch but since this weekend he started coming out from under to play with his feather. He gets so into it he jumps and runs around the room climbs his cat tree and I can even get him to jump next to me onto the couch. It's so adorable !! I even was able to coax him out with treats and he let me pet him even rubbing back against me :). He still spends a lot of the day under the couch and still hisses sometimes but things are so much better. I'm gonna keep forcing him out for pets and brushing after medicine time is over. He's such a cute cat. I can't wait for him to be out and about with us and I know in his own time he will be. Just wanted to share the news. Even though this cat was feral he is slowly getting comfortable so I don't think any young cat is hopeless or that crate training is necessary. I'll try to show some pics :)

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear he is making progress.  Sorry about the giardia and ringworm but at least you can handle him now, and since you have to, he will get used to it.  My feral girls came around but it took several months, and the boys are on the edge of it now.  I can finally touch the cream tabby boy while he eats, and the black boy still moves away when I do but he doesn't DART away, so I'll just keep touching.  It is now four or five months for the boys, I've lost track of exactly when they came in, terrified little trapped creatures hissing and spitting.  There is no hissing at all anymore and hasn't been for months.  Simon looks lovely, and you are doing a great job.

vicsin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks ! Glad to hear about your progress as well. I'm sure it's way harder with so many kitties. But seems like time patience and lots of effort will win them all over eventually :)

jazzyp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am delighted to hear that Simon is warming up to you!  I can see that you love him very much, and it looks like he is beginning to return that love to you.  That looks like a very nice cat tree!  

Thank you so much for being patient with this precious little one, and for your commitment to keeping him, even when things got a bit rough.  This may be your first cat, but you have earned your wings like a pro.  

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will chime in. I believe my cat was/used to be a feral maybe semi partially because way he reacted when petted and held or whenever someone came over when I first adopted him. I didn't use the crate idea: I played a lot with him, held him for at least 5 minutes at first he hiss and squirm away. It took approximately two months for him to fully bond with me. A lot of positive reinforcement. Toys, play sessions, petting, holding and that striving to make best for him to realize he is loved and know you're the owner. There are moments when he hides and swats my hand whenever he doesn't want me to pet him. He's now 4 years old, had him for three years.

Also use treats and can kitten food for positive reinforcement as well..... a woman goes by kitten lady you can google her on YouTube has good suggestions perhaps use a soft baby blanket to wrap your kitten into... make him feel secure

Last edited:

Ladewyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In regards to the ringworm, make sure you check yourselves out too! Ring wirm is super contagious and can pass to people. I recommend for any future cats, whether feral or not, first thing to do is always take them to the vet and have them checked and dewormed, even if you don't know if the have worms, it's usually good practice with new pets.
It sounds like it's going well. I would have gone with crating him, or at least confining him to a room, since it's generally less stressful and helps socialize faster, but I think you're doing a lot to help him get comfortable. He may never be a cuddly cat, but that doesn't mean he won't ever be happy with you as his family.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Simon is adorable.  And with the new pics, I take it he's coming out from under the sofa more often. 

vicsin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is ! He comes out and follows me while I get ready for work and hangs out when I get home playing and relaxing on the couch. He started eating with us as soon as we put out wet food. He lets me pet him and even gets belly rubs. It's so great. He's pretty much a normal cat ! He still retreats below the couch when he gets scared and he scares easy and still hisses here and there for no reason lol. But overall so much improvement since we finished medication. Hopefully he will grow to be a happy social and healthy cat !

moonstr80

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is ! He comes out and follows me while I get ready for work and hangs out when I get home playing and relaxing on the couch. He started eating with us as soon as we put out wet food. He lets me pet him and even gets belly rubs. It's so great. He's pretty much a normal cat ! He still retreats below the couch when he gets scared and he scares easy and still hisses here and there for no reason lol. But overall so much improvement since we finished medication. Hopefully he will grow to be a happy social and healthy cat !
Well good! He is thriving sounds like he's coming around and out of his shell every month you'll see a drastic change in him with his demeanor and being receptive towards you and being trustworthy as well. Ignore the hissing. Could be he heard something that he's not familiar with, let him hide in his comfortable zone if he comes out reward him with treats.

Keep us posted [emoji]128049[/emoji]