Adopted 8 Year Old Cat, Unsure How to Proceed

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I have recently adopted an 8 year old Ragdoll mix cat from a local shelter about 4 weeks ago. I have been taking it slow but I have seen no progress other than seeing him in new hiding places. He can tolerate getting pet but I do not pet him because I think it stresses him out. One of those hiding places was in the fireplace where I thought I had blocked off enough so that he couldn’t get in. His paws and belly were covered in soot. I tried to rinse off the soot but I couldn’t get far before he urinated in the tub and I felt like I was making things worse. He was hissing and growling the entire time. I am not sure what to do anymore. The shelter has given me no answer as to if he was a stray or not so I don’t know any basis for his behavior. I feel helpless and I feel like with every little thing I do, I’m just making it worse.

Before the bath fiasco happened, he was just a little wallflower kitty. Hiding and only coming out to eat, drink, use the litter box, and explore during the night. Even when I sat in the room with my back to him, quietly reading, he would not approach me. Now, I’m afraid he won’t come out at all. I’m very sorry if this is all over the place, I don’t know who to go to/what to do or anything.

Is there anything I could do to help him? Am I doing something wrong? And if I am, how can I fix it? :–((

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome! You've come to a great place for advice, so many helpful cat lovers here.
Thank you so much for giving this furball a good and loving home.
He will pretty much need to go at his own pace. It's good that he's exploring at night, and that he goes to new hiding places, he is venturing out.
What does he do when you pet him? Freeze, or back away, or shrink...
Is he in a room closed off or does he have free run of your home?
I have used a long wand with a toothbrush taped to the end for pets at first, so the kitty is getting brushed from a distance if too stressed with me petting directly.
I'd keep sitting in the room talking softly, reading, not looking at him all the time, leaving some treats near him while sitting with him, give him slow blinks- not staring at him but looking at him and closing your eyes slowly and leaving them closed for a couple of seconds then opening.
Does he like to play? Using a long wand toy with feathers on the string can snake that around for him to watch, either in the air or on the floor.
With my semi-feral kitty after the first few days of free feeding I would feed him on a schedule, 4 times a day, bringing food to him so he would associate me in a positive way, the food bringer, to get more used to me.
Others will have advice to give. Sometimes they can take awhile to adjust, and have to go at their speed to build trust and confidence. It can be a bit discouraging till they get that trust, so I hear you! But you are doing good things. The bath was necessary and he will get over it.
Would love to see pictures if you'd like to share, and what is his name?
I'm sure others will have more to say!

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My first thought is limit his space. As long as he has free run, he is more likely to stay away and hidden. Pick one smaller room with his food/ litter bed, a place to tuck away if he's nervous, and something comfortable for you.

Next, spend as much time as you can in that room, preferably ignoring him or speaking gently, not pursuing him. Sitting on the floor a few feet from some very tasty wet food can coax him over, but don't reach out yet. Just move the bowl an inch or two closer every day.

The slow blink trick works wonders. Make eye contact, very slowly close and reopen your eyes, and he will likely respond. It's a way to say "I trust you won't attack while my eyes are closed." Speak softly to him, approach slowly while he's laying down. If he runs, try to go back to letting him approach you (good treats, boiled chicken, or just good wet food).

Good luck.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are ground cats and some cats like heights. I would make certain that he has both available in his safe room. A cat tree and maybe a few boxes to let him move around without touching the ground could satisfy a cat who prefers heights to the ground.

If you have to bathe him again, please provide him a towel on the bottom of the tub for him to sink his claws into. Paws and claws on wet porcelain does not feel stable and freaks them out. Simply having something to sink his claws into for traction could reduce the stress of the experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome! You've come to a great place for advice, so many helpful cat lovers here.
Thank you so much for giving this furball a good and loving home.
He will pretty much need to go at his own pace. It's good that he's exploring at night, and that he goes to new hiding places, he is venturing out.
What does he do when you pet him? Freeze, or back away, or shrink...
Is he in a room closed off or does he have free run of your home?
I have used a long wand with a toothbrush taped to the end for pets at first, so the kitty is getting brushed from a distance if too stressed with me petting directly.
I'd keep sitting in the room talking softly, reading, not looking at him all the time, leaving some treats near him while sitting with him, give him slow blinks- not staring at him but looking at him and closing your eyes slowly and leaving them closed for a couple of seconds then opening.
Does he like to play? Using a long wand toy with feathers on the string can snake that around for him to watch, either in the air or on the floor.
With my semi-feral kitty after the first few days of free feeding I would feed him on a schedule, 4 times a day, bringing food to him so he would associate me in a positive way, the food bringer, to get more used to me.
Others will have advice to give. Sometimes they can take awhile to adjust, and have to go at their speed to build trust and confidence. It can be a bit discouraging till they get that trust, so I hear you! But you are doing good things. The bath was necessary and he will get over it.
Would love to see pictures if you'd like to share, and what is his name?
I'm sure others will have more to say!
Thank you for responding!

His name is Jacob!
564070D2-A6CC-4FE1-A010-7441FE43093D.jpeg

When I pet him, he sits still but looks at me with wide eyes and dilated (his pupils are big) pupils. I have him in a separate room but have left the door open so that at night he may venture out. Sometimes I’ll leave treats out in places I know he’ll go, and in the morning those treats will be gone and he’ll be back in his room.

I’m not too sure about playing. I have some crinkly mice, a feather toy, catnip, a scratching post, and the hanging toys that came with his tree. So far, he has shown no interest in these, even the catnip. All he will do is watch, which I understand. He might be very scared.

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats are ground cats and some cats like heights. I would make certain that he has both available in his safe room. A cat tree and maybe a few boxes to let him move around without touching the ground could satisfy a cat who prefers heights to the ground.

If you have to bathe him again, please provide him a towel on the bottom of the tub for him to sink his claws into. Paws and claws on wet porcelain does not feel stable and freaks them out. Simply having something to sink his claws into for traction could reduce the stress of the experience.
Thank you very much for the reply. In his room, I have his cat tree that has perches and a little cat cave, his crate with an old shirt in it, a few boxes that I’ve cut some entrances in, and a couple of big teddy bears that he seems to like hiding under.

I will do just that! It must’ve been very scary to have been in the bathtub like that. I’ll definitely lay down a towel for him next time.

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first thought is limit his space. As long as he has free run, he is more likely to stay away and hidden. Pick one smaller room with his food/ litter bed, a place to tuck away if he's nervous, and something comfortable for you.

Next, spend as much time as you can in that room, preferably ignoring him or speaking gently, not pursuing him. Sitting on the floor a few feet from some very tasty wet food can coax him over, but don't reach out yet. Just move the bowl an inch or two closer every day.

The slow blink trick works wonders. Make eye contact, very slowly close and reopen your eyes, and he will likely respond. It's a way to say "I trust you won't attack while my eyes are closed." Speak softly to him, approach slowly while he's laying down. If he runs, try to go back to letting him approach you (good treats, boiled chicken, or just good wet food).

Good luck.
Hello and thank you for responding!

After his bath, I had closed the door to the bathroom as well as the door to the rest of the house just in case.

I’ll keep spending time with him! Usually when I slow blink at him, he’ll blink back. He spends most of his time either in his tree or tucked under his box. While he never eats in front of me, if I leave a couple of treats out they’ll be gone the next morning.

He doesn’t run either. He simply stays put in his hiding spots and watches.

I’m just afraid that the bath experience and my presence is setting back progress. I try not to approach him directly often.

Robyn5678

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I got new cats they hid constantly and would only come out when I fed them. So I started putting a chair in the vicinity of the food dish and I would just read to them. I wanted them to get used to my voice. Once they were coming out fairly quickly, I’d move the chair closer. It took a few weeks but they finally starting rubbing themselves on my legs and walking around the chair.
You will need to do things at his pace. Good luck 💕

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I got new cats they hid constantly and would only come out when I fed them. So I started putting a chair in the vicinity of the food dish and I would just read to them. I wanted them to get used to my voice. Once they were coming out fairly quickly, I’d move the chair closer. It took a few weeks but they finally starting rubbing themselves on my legs and walking around the chair.
You will need to do things at his pace. Good luck 💕
I haven’t tried a chair yet. I’ve been sitting or laying on the floor and speaking to him. I’ll try that out as well as putting the food bowl near me. Thank you for replying :-D

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - try some low volume classical harp music, and possibly even a purr toy or a heart beat toy. These things can do wonders for kittens, but also for stressed kitties like your Jacob-honey :redheartpump:

christinemoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He spends most of his time either in his tree or tucked under his box. While he never eats in front of me, if I leave a couple of treats out they’ll be gone the next morning.

He doesn’t run either. He simply stays put in his hiding spots and watches.
Dumb question, but what happens when you reach into his tree/ box and start petting him? I socialize kitties at a shelter, and I use that method with quite a few of them. If they don't hiss or scratch, they'll likely tolerate pets, and then you can reward him immediately with something like a Delectable Squeeze Up.

I admit, it isn't always the correct way.... the main socializer does the slow approach, putting something that smells like her nearby, video of cat purring, feliway spray and move slow method, and we both get results depending on the individual cat.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think limiting his space as christinemoon christinemoon says, for now makes sense, to one room. He can get good and comfortable in there more easily and get used to you visiting. Then once he's used to (more used to) you gradually expand his access to the rest of the house. Less overwhelming for him to feel at home in smaller spaces, and get to know the noise in the house.
He's a cutie! A sink cat! :dancingblackcat:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Love the picture, you can't see him awesome hiding.;)
Try to place some old bathrobe in the room. My cats are now starting to expand through the house and letting me pet them. It takes time been 6 weeks now. They still tend to stay in the original room, though. Progress is slow but steady.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about the bath incident. Cats' memories don't work like that. He's already over it.

When you go in to feed him or read to him, don't try to interact with him. Make it clear with your indifference that you're going to let him set the pace.

Another thing you can do is sit on the floor and do something to spark his curiosity like making a puzzle, playing with blocks, assembling furniture (that was my late Krista's favorite "whatchoo doin'?" activity), etc. Consider yourself lucky if you can do yoga around him without having him up in your business. Do something in his space that doesn't involve him but he could easily come inspect if his curiosity gets the best of him. Don't look to see if he's interested. Do it, clean up, and get out. If he comes to inspect, great. If he doesn't that's okay too.

The most important thing is to respect his autonomy, and let him set the pace.

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dumb question, but what happens when you reach into his tree/ box and start petting him? I socialize kitties at a shelter, and I use that method with quite a few of them. If they don't hiss or scratch, they'll likely tolerate pets, and then you can reward him immediately with something like a Delectable Squeeze Up.

I admit, it isn't always the correct way.... the main socializer does the slow approach, putting something that smells like her nearby, video of cat purring, feliway spray and move slow method, and we both get results depending on the individual cat.
It’s the same. :-0 He doesn’t move and sometimes will blink at me. With the box, I can tell he tenses up but again, he simply sits there. I have tried to offer a squeeze treat but he doesn’t seem to care for it. Same with regular treats. He will stare at me and I’ll put the treat down. The next morning, it’ll be gone haha. I’ve gotten the feliway plug in but I’ll try the purring videos as well as a purr toy that someone had mentioned! Thank you so very much for your replies. I appreciate yours and everyone’s advice a lot!

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we

dont put too close. Start with same room, I sat in the farthest corner and moved closer to the bowl every few days.
Oh okay! I’ll do just that then. Thank you :–)

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think limiting his space as christinemoon christinemoon says, for now makes sense, to one room. He can get good and comfortable in there more easily and get used to you visiting. Then once he's used to (more used to) you gradually expand his access to the rest of the house. Less overwhelming for him to feel at home in smaller spaces, and get to know the noise in the house.
He's a cutie! A sink cat! :dancingblackcat:
That makes sense. I’ll keep his door closed from the rest of the house then! I’ll open up his access to the bathroom again so that he has another place to jump up to.

Yes! Before I first saw him in the sink I had thought he had gotten out somehow. Then I turned around only to see him peering up at me LOL

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Love the picture, you can't see him awesome hiding.;)
Try to place some old bathrobe in the room. My cats are now starting to expand through the house and letting me pet them. It takes time been 6 weeks now. They still tend to stay in the original room, though. Progress is slow but steady.
He’s a little ninja for sure!
That makes sense! I read that some people had their cats approach them after a few hours or a couple days after they had brought the cat home. Aiya, I thought I was doing something wrong! Thank you for the bathrobe suggestion!

new_cat_in_town_

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't worry about the bath incident. Cats' memories don't work like that. He's already over it.

When you go in to feed him or read to him, don't try to interact with him. Make it clear with your indifference that you're going to let him set the pace.

Another thing you can do is sit on the floor and do something to spark his curiosity like making a puzzle, playing with blocks, assembling furniture (that was my late Krista's favorite "whatchoo doin'?" activity), etc. Consider yourself lucky if you can do yoga around him without having him up in your business. Do something in his space that doesn't involve him but he could easily come inspect if his curiosity gets the best of him. Don't look to see if he's interested. Do it, clean up, and get out. If he comes to inspect, great. If he doesn't that's okay too.

The most important thing is to respect his autonomy, and let him set the pace.
Ohhh, okay. Sometimes I’ll look to see if he’s looking at me or if he’s interested. It’ll definitely be difficult to ignore him but I can find a nice activity to keep myself distracted! A puzzle sounds like a great one too. Thank you very much :–D