Adopted 8 Month Sisters

MaryamG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi
I recently adopted 2 eight month old sisters last month, they had to flown down to me.
I understand they where scared of the flight, change in home, new people & climate.
They eat well, use litter box.
1)They will only let me pett them when they feel like it.
2) won’t let me pick them up.
3) won’t let me brush them (previous owner said they use to being brush.
4) they hid whole day, only come out at night to explore and play, how Can I encourage them to come out more? To interact with the other household members?

Sorry for the long post, I’m getting a little sad & worried, as I love animals especially cats.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going to give you the link for a few articles that will help you with some of this, but a lot of it will correct itself with time. They are, indeed, in a new place after a terrifying journey. AND they have each other to rely on, to take comfort from, so it will take them a little longer to reach out to you than if it were only one kitten. Give them a bit more time, then slowly begin to block off hiding places. Don't rush that part of it...and if you are hosting family and friends over the holidays, don't do any blocking at all until things are calm again.

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

And a couple of people swear by this:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will take time, but it WILL happen. They are scared witless, change in home, terrifying jet ride, strange people, scary everything! It may be a month before they get comfortable, but being young they will come out of it. I had a two year old female that hid under the bed for two months, then she became one of our friendliest. Cats absolutely hate change and yours have been through a lot.
Make sure they are exposed to everyday life there, but when near where they are hiding sit quietly and just talk to them. Bring and leave treats, bring a wand toy to see if you can entice them out. But never push them. Never stare into their eyes, that is a threat to a cat. In a few days bring them food and sit about ten feet away, see if they will come to eat. When they finally do, sit closer and closer. Once you can actually touch them while they are eating, although they will run at first, that is it! They will be friendlier from then on. Good luck and keep us posted on how they are doing!

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Get them confident with play - run around like crazy, jumping exciting exhausting play. Find a toy that drives them nuts - which might be different for each cat. And praise the cr@p out of them whenever they do ANYTHING remotely good. They will slowly and eventually come around. And cat toys may seem weird to you but my two guys like sticks - a wooden dowel or the plastic handle of a wand toy and will chase it up and down stairs, around furniture and hunt it when it peaks out from under a box or pillow.

Coaxing them out for the initial play sessions will take a little time for them to let their guard down. It will be baby steps at first, but once it starts, everything should move faster.

Since I figured out that my shy guy loves to play fetch with a spring toy, he comes around for affection (and play) much more and will sit still for pets. He just seems much more comfortable and less jumpy.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
MaryamG MaryamG , I think this article here is really helpful to your situation:
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Reading #4, #5, #6 and #7 in that article might really help. Remember that the cats are trying to figure you out, figure out what your regular daily patterns are, what you smell like (and the other household members too), what your voices sound like. Try keeping some regular patterns throughout each day, do a few of the same tasks at the same daily time, make repetitive, calming noises when you feed them/ try to play with them/ clean their litter boxes. Keep it up, and they will come to rely upon who you are -- they will come to trust your patterns and movements.

Have you named them yet? How long have they been in your home? :hearthrob: :hearthrob:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi
I recently adopted 2 eight month old sisters last month, they had to flown down to me.
I understand they where scared of the flight, change in home, new people & climate.
They eat well, use litter box.
1)They will only let me pett them when they feel like it.
2) won’t let me pick them up.
3) won’t let me brush them (previous owner said they use to being brush.
4) they hid whole day, only come out at night to explore and play, how Can I encourage them to come out more? To interact with the other household members?

Sorry for the long post, I’m getting a little sad & worried, as I love animals especially cats.
Welcome MaryamG MaryamG to TCS! Your kittens are so beautiful. The other posters' suggestions are all very good and all I would add is that it does often take time and patience when new cats come into the family. Loving, gentle talk and actions will eventually bring them to you for affection, I believe. Many new cats have joined my family over time, and it does usually take time for them to adapt. Our newest family member was 9 when he joined us last year. He had been with his former family all his life and was very loving, affectionate and social. When he joined us he went directly to a room of his own with his food, water, litter box, a big soft bed, toys, and frequent visits from me. He did not purr or let me brush him for some time, and was under the bed a lot, very shy. In time, he came out and eventually he became part of our family. Now, he loves brushing, purrs a lot, and is extremely loving. I believe your little sister kittens will become like this in time. Please let us know how they do, and again, welcome! We love pictures here, too.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign: Welcome to TCS, new sister kittens and their new family!
You have been given great suggestions. For establishing a "base camp", I like to give the kitties a "cave" made out of a large box with portals on all 4 sides. This mimics successful feral cat behavior - the wild strays who approch my established feral colony like to crouch under a junk car or linger in a small cave in the cliffs, observing the clan from afar and remain tentative when approaching feeding stations. If a stray tries to just go up to a food dish, the residents run it off :disappointed: but the smart ones assimilate slowly ( except the neighborhood bully tom who jumped over the fence into the yard and beat up whoever didn't run away fast enough. He is trap savvy,too:fuming:)
I 2nd the idea about amusing yourself by playing with cat toys in front of them - pull a string slowly across the floor or playing with jingly or bouncy balls or a chirp toy - that should pique their interest (basically, become their "cat t.v." )
You are already ahead of the game - you are working with tame kitties, albeit traumatized ones. Just focus on all positive energy- no guilt feelings and no pity - they are in a real family now, with the pleasures and comforts of a good home. On the streets or in an irresponsible home, they would be in danger of diseases, bad weather, starvation & thirst, unwanted litters of sickly kittens, predators or in a hoarding situation or worse:cold::cold::cold:
Instead they are with YOU:itslove::petcat::happycat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MaryamG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone to the wisdom
They are a delight to watch...
A quick question, they not letting me brush them, I don’t want their fur to get matted, should I take them to groomer? Or wait until they comfy with me brushing them?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone to the wisdom
They are a delight to watch...
A quick question, they not letting me brush them, I don’t want their fur to get matted, should I take them to groomer? Or wait until they comfy with me brushing them?
Personally, I would work with them gradually until you gain their trust regarding grooming, MaryamG MaryamG because most groomers are not qualified to work with cats and are not gentle and kind enough with cats. I would never trust a cat to a groomer. I would much rather work gradually, brushing once or twice and then giving a treat, and repeat the process; or just wait for them to come to you and then brush as much as they will allow, and then praise them, stroke them, and give a treat if you wish.