Adopted 2 new kittens.

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For Mothers Day I got to bring home 2 kittens from my moms barn litters. A beautiful calico, we call her Cali but I might change her name to Luci(fer) cuz shes a little hellion...She just loves to play and climb everything. The other is a white kitten with grey and orange tabby mixed on the top of her head and tail. Her name is Trotter, after Jeremiah Trotter who plays for the Eagles.
Dave picked that name out...However we are also bring other barn cats over to clean their eyes. They have been getting goopy eyes from being in the barn and they get crusty and closed when they sleep. Does anyone have experiance with cleaning them off. Someone said use tea bags and that will help but right now Im just using a wash clothe with warm water. We also gave them a bath with baby shampoo to clean them off. Thank god none of them have fleas or anything its just their eyes. They have all been to the vet because my moms bf thought it was distemper but its just dirty eyes. So far the calico is getting much better her eyes were still open this morning when we got up (she sleeps under the covers with Dave at night) Trotter never had problems with his eyes, but fluffernutter my moms baby was part of a litter that was neglected because his mom stopped feeding them so now we are trying to pork him up because he is literally all skin and bones. He eats really well tho. His eyes are the worst and everytime he sleeps they are closed shut when check on him. We have been keeping the kittens down in the basement in a room we closed off for them specifically. They are getting kitten milk supplement stuff, dry food which they were eating before we brought them home, and tuna in small doses to help Fluffernutter to get some fat to him. Anyone with ideas on how to help lil Fluffernutter and their eyes please reply...

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its mucus or red/irritated they could have a mild infection. I'd get the kittens to the vet as soon as you can. Infection is not gonna clear by itself. How old are these kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The calico is 2mths and 3 wks old. The white one is a couple days younger than her and the black one is about a week and a half younger. Today my mom took the 4 worst kittens to the vet, he said its just dirty eyes from being born in the barn and we are supposed to clean them out with warm water if nessecary use a mild baby shampoo because its safe for their faces. The babies that I have are getting better their eyes dont get crusted shut anymore they just get runny when they are tired. So I keep wiping them as I see they are running and try and get them wiped off when they are sleeping. None of them are too fond of getting cleaned up but they are getting better as the day keeps going. I was really worried that it was something serious but they are doing amazing. Fluffernutter is starting to get some meat on his bones I cant feel his bones as much as I could before, he is still skinny but getting better.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oooo - some new babies, well congrats on the new additions
it sounds like you have the eye situation under control

So they are eating etc OK, which is great news, have you managed to have the vet just give them the once over anyway ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whosamyhercules

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im supposed to hear back from my vet of choice if they will be willing to work out a payment situation with me to get the babies in and get checked out. Fluffernutter is the one Im really worried about, hes just so skinny. I know Ive got to give him more than 3 days to gain weight but Im just still worried. I got the background from my mom about his litter. The mom rejected them and the older babies were pushing his litter (3 babies) out of the way and then the mom that was feeding would make sure her babies were nursed. So he isnt the only one that is skinny but I just worry about him. Especially since David is so attached to him. Cali and Trotter are doing amazing. Cali hangs out downstairs with Hercules and Lil`....Hercules and Lil just run away from the babies like they are scared outta their minds. But Cali doesnt care she just hangs out on the recliner and eats alot! All the babies are eating and doing their "business" like normal. Right now Im working on litter training Trotter and Fluffernutter. But all in all Im hoping to get them into the vets by the end of this week or beginning of next week!!