Adopt Third Kitten? Behavioral Woes

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am debating whether to adopt a third kitten to my house. I was wondering what gender it should be if I have one energetic, outgoing male (17 weeks) and one timid female (14 weeks). LONG story ahead, skip to the last paragraph if you don’t want to read it. :)

Some back story, I fostered a litter of 5 week old kittens. I ended up adopting one of them. He was sickly when I first got him so perhaps he slept more than his littermates from the medications. He was smaller and perhaps didn’t socialize enough with proper play behavior. The two biggest kittens went back to the shelter for adoption at 9 weeks.

When I picked up my adoptef kitten from the shelter after his neuter procedure, they asked me to foster his sister for a week before her vet appointment. Turned out she had a heart murmur and they wanted to get x-rays before she could be spayed. At that point I decided I would adopt her also because I felt bad leaving her behind. After the vet appointment the shelter told me she had a grade 4 heart murmur and she would go into heart failure eventually. They wouldn’t let me adopt her and only would keep her as a forever foster and asked me if I wanted to take her fostering. I said okay...

So two siblings stayed with me and the boy I adopted was very energetic and would pounce on her and chase her. She was calmer and less energetic, perhaps due to the heart murmur, and didn’t mind too much when he pounced. But she would cry out if he hurt her, and I would move him away. Well when she was almost 12 weeks one day, she squeaked and gasped for air for about 10 seconds very loudly. Shelter told me I could bring her to the vet and I did assuming she would get medication or something. The vet took her away to the back without inviting me in the room. Then I get a text from the shelter saying they authorized her to be euthanized. Needless to say it was very traumatic and heartbreaking for me and I did not expect her to be euthanized without treatment. I paid for her cremation so I could receive her ashes back... Now my adopted kitten was alone and without a playmate.

So I went back and adopted another kitten. She is very sweet and well-behaved. She is timid and skittish though, which I did not want in a cat (been there done that with a previous cat). I didn’t even want a female, but my husband liked her at the shelter... I’m happy to have her now and would never trade her. She sleeps on my neck and face at night purring which is sweet.

However, my first kitten is constantly chasing her and trying to pounce on her when they’re in the same room. It is endless. Now she’s a little bigger and can run away or hides under furniture but often he still gets her and he bites. It’s like she has a grudge and will also chase him to bite or swat him. I know this is part of cat play, but they take it to another level and it is really endless. I’m not sure if they’re fighting for alpha or what. I have to keep them separated when I’m not home. I can’t trust that he wouldn’t hurt her or terrorize her if I left them alone. She growls and hisses and cries out when he is biting her, and I have to go break it up or separate them. He is only 3 weeks older but he is so much larger, taller, and heavier than she is. I swear she looks part munchkin breed with very short legs and a small body. I’ve had both for 4 weeks and they’re not any closer to becoming friends. We have a big house so space isn’t the issue.

Now I’m kind of wanting to get a third kitten who is more energetic/larger so he won’t pick on her so much. Is a boy better in this instance for a playmate? My worst fear is getting a boy and they fight, get territorial, and hate each other. If I get a girl, I worry that she will be angry with the male cat too and nobody gets along. In the worst case, both cats might pick on the girl I already have which is not acceptable and I want to protect her. Please, what should I do?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on the fact that they are kittens and that your description doesn't take them out of the range of normal, I think you should let them work it out. Separation while you are gone just causes what I call the Christmas Morning effect, in which the overly eager kitten is all turbo charged with excitement when he finally gets to play. If you leave them together, they will almost certainly be able to work this out. The best time for them to work it out is now, when the more timid kitten is at the most adaptable age. And given your timeline, it can't have been very long right? It can take a couple weeks sometimes, but they *will* most likely work this out. Kittens almost always end up getting along with each other. As they grow, there might eventually be problems again, but young kittens have a very high ability to adapt and become friends. If you let them be for a couple of weeks and the timid kitten is showing signs of high stress, something unusual is going on and a different strategy may be needed, but it doesn't sound like we are there yet.

I'm not a fan of getting a third cat to help with behavioral problems in general, and I think its an especially bad idea for you. It just doesn't seem to work out that two playful cats will *only* play with each other and not bother a timid cat. You might make the adjustment harder.

P.S. It is very normal for one cat or kitten to be the one that typically runs after a bit of play. If they *never* are willing to play at all, and they always avoid and show stress towards the other cat, that is one thing, but if they are tolerant of the overly playful cat outside of play sessions, then things are good. Cats are very good at telling us if an inter-cat issue is serious. If there is no growling/hissing and the timid kitten isn't avoiding/hiding outside of play sessions, then things are fine.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A ArtNJ thank you for your insight! I will try leaving them together and pray they will work it out in time. It just makes me nervous not being there to supervise while I’m away for work during the day. I’ve never had more than one cat before so this is a first for me. I really wish they had took each other right away though.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I am with A ArtNJ , let them sort it out and don’t add a third. Some kittens are just way more vocal than others in play and may growl, hiss or scream. Their noise helps the other cat or kitten know when they have gone too far and these interactions are important to developing their relationship. If there was a huge difference is age between the two you might need to monitor them more closely but when very similar in age, it is almost a certainty they will be good playmates and friends in short order.

If their noise gets too much for you at any point though, distract them with a wand toy or a treat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LeiLatte

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone who replied. I finally left them together for the past several days and they are doing better now. They bite/play often but I think they enjoy each other’s company. The girl is not as timid and defends herself as much as possible. They follow each other and share the cat tree together too.

I also got a third kitten (11 weeks, male) because I was wanting one more cat in general, and our shelter had a sale. He is a cuddly sweetheart and seems playful, but I’m going to wait until he’s a little bigger to introduce them.