Adopt Foster Cat But Have 2 Resident Cats

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is not my first foster, 4th actually, but this time I became emotionally attached. Foster kitty, Suzy, 7 mo black cat, who was dumped in our neighborhood. I went in this asking a reputable charity if I Was unable to adopt her out to someone myself myse would they help & they agreed. Well, I had her for 33 days, lots of vet visits & tucking her in at night for 10 mins. In her sanctuary room. I had a difficult time adopting her out due her being black, older kitten & sketchy potential adoptees. The tension in the House was medium stress. My 2 cats hissed at her, Katherine (female resident cat) would stare, swat, hiss. The tension was too much & I hated that my cat was uncomfortable. However, Suzy the foster 7 mo. old, was submissive yet confident, playful in her kitten way. Never scared or hid. I kept having this looming feeling that I didn’t want to have 3 cats.. so I surrendered her to the reputable charity to help adopt her out. So she’s been up at the charity for 4 weeks today, no adoption still. Ive done nothing but pine for her ever since I surrendered her. I’m constantly thinking about getting her bk but my resident cat, Katherine interjects my thoughts, I have to think about her well being too. I just want all three cats happy. Prince (he’s laid bk, not too worried about him) he takes things as they come. I have a wedding in April for 2 days & will not return until April 15. Will have a pet sitter but she’d have to be in her sanctuary room for 3 days. If I leave her at the charity That’s another 2 weeks. I don’t know if I should just let her go.. or adopt her out when I get bk. I’ll have to go through initial reintroduction w resident cats & new cat. What’s going to be differ this time? I feel I’m in a rut on a decision.. Adopt Suzy or let her be adopted out by someone else? I Worry about stress between cats but in hindsight they were all making progress.. napping in the same room, playing in the same room, drinking & eating from each other’s dish, swapping using litter boxes. I’m including pics to see if you can draw conclusions on my delimma. Any thoughts would be appreciated~
Prince-DLH
Katherine-DSH
Suzy-DSH (7-8 mo) black cats are the least adopted out

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

My family only ever had 1 cat at a time, and I now only have my Ruby. So I've never had to deal with aggressive behavior between cats that don't get along. But I have read enough threads here on this forum to know it can become a nightmare when cats don't get along.

And since your 2 cats have already let you know they don't want poor Suzy around, I'd be very nervous bringing her back.

How have Prince and Katherine been since it's back to just the 2 of them? And did they ever meet and get along with any of your other fosters? If they did, then maybe with another introduction period they might accept Suzy.

Hopefully some other members will reply with their opinions. Meanwhile, I'll post link the TCS articles on cat introductions.

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
how bad was it with the other cats? I took in two kittens that I found, and already had two adult cats. believe me, I did not want four cats, and did not want to put my older cats to the stress. it has been a long five months, and everyone getting along fine, now. i think you should give it a shot, if there was not real bad aggression. at first one of my older guys would not even come out of my clothes closet for a long time. it is still a lot of cats for sure, but i love them all, and they are making it together.

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I see they were actually doing quite well after only a month. mine were much worse, and while very stressful, the time actually does go by, and seeing even the little progress each day is very rewarding. (I also did this while moving to a new house, and i'm typically a stressed out mess from a stressful job, so if I can do it, anyone can).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:

My family only ever had 1 cat at a time, and I now only have my Ruby. So I've never had to deal with aggressive behavior between cats that don't get along. But I have read enough threads here on this forum to know it can become a nightmare when cats don't get along.

And since your 2 cats have already let you know they don't want poor Suzy around, I'd be very nervous bringing her back.

How have Prince and Katherine been since it's back to just the 2 of them? And did they ever meet and get along with any of your other fosters? If they did, then maybe with another introduction period they might accept Suzy.

Hopefully some other members will reply with their opinions. Meanwhile, I'll post link the TCS articles on cat introductions.

Your Second Cat: How To Choose The Best Friend For Kitty
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight
I see they were actually doing quite well after only a month. mine were much worse, and while very stressful, the time actually does go by, and seeing even the little progress each day is very rewarding. (I also did this while moving to a new house, and i'm typically a stressed out mess from a stressful job, so if I can do it, anyone can).
Wow.. this is reassuring. I can’t seem to pull the trigger. I’m afraid of making the wrong decision. Thank you so much for the reply, gives me hope if I choose this route.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Will I still be able to see replies if you copy this post to another forum?

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What do you mean? You can watch this topic if you want notifications sent to your email
Nvm.. I read Rubysmama incorrectly.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many square feet is your house...from what I have read, it should be 1500 at least for supporting 3 cats. My house is 1200 sq ft and it would feel very crowded with 3! 2 is quite enough for us just due to space considerations and the fact that they're currently indoor-only cats.

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes my house is 1200 ft also. I do have a cat fence for my backyard. This keeps my cats from hoping the fence when the go outside.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe the 1200 sq ft is why you sort of feel like 2 is your limit...that recommendation must have some reasoning behind it! I say keep your current cats happy and keep the number at 2. Even if Suzy is able to assimilate into the group, there is no way of knowing if Katherine and Prince will maintain a good relationship with one another once a third moves in.

In other news, what is the cat fence...does that netting really stop them? I need to set this up for our girls! Our yard is totally fenced in but I'm always afraid to let them out because they could go over...

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You’re right. I debate both sides all the time. I guess I just need to let her go. I hate that she’s not adopted yet. Black cats get so overlooked in shelters & such.. omg! You’ll love a cat fence! Here’s the link below

Cat Fence: Purrfect Cat Enclosures and Cat Fences

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes the netting does.. cats won’t jump on anything that’s not stable. The site can explain more, if they do jump & cling to the netting (which mine never have) the hinged arm brings them down.
Cat Fence: Purrfect Cat Enclosures and Cat Fences

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for the links...can’t wait to read more!!!

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I was thinking.... maybe I should go get her at the charity & try to afoot her out again. I did get an inquiry but I had already surrendered her. I just hate she’s in a kennel. It’s a nice kennel but still.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can’t you direct the person who made the inquiry to the kennel? It seems like the cat’s best interests would mean the fewest possible transitions...

Cohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*adopt