Administering Famciclovir pills

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has an eye infection. She has prescribed an eye ointment about a week ago. The vet wanted her back for a one-week follow-up, which was today. The infection had begun to clear but not as quickly as hoped, so he also prescribed famciclovir tablets. Although my cat is 12 years old, she's only recently adopted, and I don't have much experience giving her meds. This pill is large, in cat terms, about the size of an aspirin or Tylenol for humans. I think it at least needs to be cut in half, maybe in quarters. I was thinking I might put it in a gel capsule (hopefully the pieces would all fit) and try to get her to swallow that instead of more than one administrations of the pieces of the tablet. I read that it shouldn't be given with food, so I can't try mixing it with food in a syringe or treat. I also read that it can be crushed, but if I'm putting it in the gel cap, I might not be able to get all of the material into it. Any good ideas on the best way to get this into her? The vet wants to see her again in just a few days, so I need to get started giving her this so that he can properly evaluate her progress.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Check with your vet. I believe famciclovir can be given with a small amount of food. Nine years ago I gave it to my then very aggressive ferals with food. It worked to clear their herpes.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the drug is best absorbed without food, but it can be administered with a bit of food as noted above. Crushed pills could work being mixed with a bite of 'reglaur food' or a lickable treat (Churu, Tiki Cat Stix, Temptations Purrees', just to name a few of the many on the market), as long as the pill does not have an overwhelmingly bitter or bad taste. You could also try the quartered pills in pill pockets or pill masker - both can be molded around the pill pieces with just enough to cover the pill and make it easier to eat them - kind of like cat treats. I go one step further and coat the pockets/masker in some Forti Flora for add flavor enticement, and then add a couple of 'regular' cat treats to the plate to help prevent 'suspicion' about the meds. The Forti Flora also helps to prevent the pockets/masker from sticking to the plate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

njg55

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The gel cap is a good idea.
My husband and I tried to get the gel cap down her while she was wrapped in a towel, but she struggled too much and we couldn't get it down her. We gave up. The vet told me this morning that the pill could be crushed and mixed with a small amount of liquid that we could administer in a syringe; hopefully we could give in just a few drops, since we know she isn't going to like being held. Someone also recommended putting her in a pillowcase with only her head sticking out (like getting her in it is going to be easy!) and/or using the cone that the vet gave her to prevent her from rubbing her eye to help keep the flailing paws under control while we administer the medication. We'll just have to experiment, but I welcome feedback.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Did you see my suggestions in the post I made just shortly before yours above?
I think the drug is best absorbed without food, but it can be administered with a bit of food as noted above. Crushed pills could work being mixed with a bite of 'reglaur food' or a lickable treat (Churu, Tiki Cat Stix, Temptations Purrees', just to name a few of the many on the market), as long as the pill does not have an overwhelmingly bitter or bad taste. You could also try the quartered pills in pill pockets or pill masker - both can be molded around the pill pieces with just enough to cover the pill and make it easier to eat them - kind of like cat treats. I go one step further and coat the pockets/masker in some Forti Flora for add flavor enticement, and then add a couple of 'regular' cat treats to the plate to help prevent 'suspicion' about the meds. The Forti Flora also helps to prevent the pockets/masker from sticking to the plate.