Adjustment With A 2nd Cat, And The Concerned Resident.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vommitting can be anything. Sure the timing is suspicious but vommitting is something many cats do w unhapppy regularity. So I think you should try again. It's not like waiting will do much, just make sure arlo seems relaxed and happy when you start. Maybe a nearby ish feeding when you know both are hungry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

earthwormgym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, today has been positive. Both have been together for most of the afternoon today!

The only concern I have is that a Arlo (resident cat) does like to chase Graham- a lot. Even if Graham is chasing a toy, Arlo will have to follow and watch his every move. And when they sprint around the apartment, they don’t really rough house at the end. But is the relentless chasing cause for concern?

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it's recommended to introduce cats slowly, but I didn't. Mickey was rescued off the street about a year ago. We have a small apartment and no real way of doing a slow introduction. Connor and Murphy spent about a week hissing at him, then got over it. They've been fine ever since. About 3 months ago, my husband found Marcy living on the street. We really didn't want another cat, but we couldn't leave her to fend for herself. She was so skinny! So, we decided to foster her and find her a home. Again, a slow intro wasn't possible. The boys didn't seem to mind her at all but she hissed and swatted at them if they came within 4 feet of her. She was very nasty to them for over a month. Now, everyone gets along. So, even if you can't do a slow intro, it will work out. They'll eventually adjust.
I wouldn't worry about the chasing at all. Mine are always chasing each other around. The other day, Marcy chased Murphy from one end of the apartment to the other. When they ran out of space, Murphy chased her back to the other end. And so on for several laps. I couldn't stop laughing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

earthwormgym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So almost a week in now and each day we’ve been giving them more time together. We still separate Graham- New cat- at night. For the most part, interactions have been good with playfighting etc.

Our latest concern is Arlo- the resident cat- is hardly eating. He used to have quite the appetite. But now he just sniffs his food, then becomes concerned with where the other cat is. Again, cause for concern? Or is it something that will eventually get better over time.

Side note: Arlo was on a free-fed diet before Graham arrived. We’re wanting to transition both I scheduled feeds, but more concerned about him eating first!