Adding water to dry food?

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

This is the first time I am writing on this site and here's hoping it won't be the last!

I have a question. So me almost 16 year old cat just got a cystostomy to remove a stone in his bladder. He's a rescue cat and refuses to eat any kind of wet food. I can't even add any water to his dry food. But, I was wondering. Can I add water to his dry food, let it sit over night (until it dries up a bit) and then give it to him? Or does that make no difference? I want him to have more fluids, but it is so difficult. He's also a old man, so I don't want him to not eat. At this point whatever he wants to eat, if fine by me. He is currently on a mix of Purina ST/OX (which I'm not a fan of and now that he no longer has any teeth left, he's not a fan of it eaither) and Oven-Baked Tradition Grain Free.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wavey:

It really isn't a great idea to add water to kibble, as this can cause undesirable bacteria to multiply. Also, if you wet the food and then let it sit to dry out, the added water will just evaporate. This defeats the purpose of adding it in the first place ;)

Instead, try using a water fountain, or offering flavoured waters to encourage him to drink more. A huge favourite in this house is the (cooled) water left over from poaching chicken. Just be sure not to add any seasonings to the poaching water - it must be absolutely plain. Another favourite is tuna water - cover canned tuna (be sure it's canned in spring water, NOT brine) with a few cups of water and leave in the fridge overnight to infuse. Remove the tuna (use it for yourself) and offer the water as a tasty 'soup' for your boy. There are tons more ideas here:-[article="30756"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the info! It's much appreciated. It's very difficult because my cat, Oscar, refuses to eat any wet/raw food. He won't even eat meat that we cook up. I'm having a hard time trying to get him to drink a lot of water. He also won't accept his dry food if it's wet. I am going to buy a fountain eventually (when I have the funds) and hope that will help. I also have water bowls pretty much in every room. So I'm hoping it will help. I just want the best for my old man.