Adding Protec's "Body Guard" to raw recipe?

selfus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My long-hair cat has fleas, so I went to a local pet store (where I buy canned food) and the associate recommended that I use diatomaceous earth (both on her skin and my carpets), use a flea comb daily, and add Protec's Body Guard to her food. She said that Body Guard would improve her skin and basically make her "unpalatable" to fleas.

Currently I'm following the raw recipe on catnutrition.org, and mixing in a couple teaspoons of Nature's Variety canned food with each meal. Should I add the recommended amount of Body Guard to her pre-made food as an added supplement? Has anyone else used this product? Are there any other ways to prevent the fleas from coming back (I'm still trying to get rid of them!). 

These are the ingredients from the Protec website: Ingredients

Last edited by a moderator:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are many that recommend using B vitamins or brewer's yeast - sometimes with garlic - to prevent fleas. According to UC Davis, there's no truth to this. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7419.html

Given the diet you feed is already nutritionally balanced, I'm not sure the Pet Guard is going to do anything other than cost money. :dk:

Is your cat indoor only, or indoor-outdoor? Does she stay on your property or roam if indoor-outdoor?

Because DE can help, but only if it stays in place when it rains. It doesn't "melt" in water, but it can run off. The best way to combat them inside is to cut up a flea collar and put it in your vacuum, and vacuum every few days for a while, focusing on edges, cracks, and corners (where walls meet floors, room transitions, etc. ) and all furniture, cat bedding, etc. You might want to read up on the life cycle of the flea in the above link.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been very lucky that my indoor only cats haven't had flea problems since being on Dr. Pierson's recipe, and I don't know why. Nothing but diet was the change, which makes me wonder. But that's all I got.

However, in that my cats get what they need from diet alone as yours should be (the diets are very similar), if I were in your shoes I would try LDG's suggestion about vacuuming with the flea collar. I would also run to the vet for Revolution and Capstar. DE is safe, but flea problems can get out of hand quickly so my paranoid self would go for the big guns.