Adding Peas And Ibs

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My orange boy, who is at least 14 yrs, has chronic diarrhea with his IBS. He has been treated by the vet for over 9 yrs. He has gone from 14 lbs down to 8 1/2 lbs. The only food that makes his pooh near normal are the Royal Canin Duck or Turkey. Of course, he won't eat them any more or other foods with peas. I have tried other brands of duck or turkey without the peas, but he gets diarrhea again. I am mixing the ones he likes with the Royal Canin and he will eat the food and has near normal pooh. However, I can tell that he is getting tired of the Royal Canin even mixed. I am wondering about adding green peas to the other cat food, but am not sure of how much. Any ideas?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not sure I understood the question well but grain-free seems to work well on IBS cats and most grain-free foods have peas in them. My cat eats Acana Wild Prairie and that has peas. I believe Pro Plan and Hill’s grain-free foods also have peas in them.

Or if you like to stay with grainy, which Royal Canin is he on? Prescription food or? Sensible 33 is praised by many (didn’t work well for my cat though.) Where I live Pro Plan Optirenal Delicate is for sensitive digestion and is turkey-based.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A bland-ish food with few fillers like peas seems to work for many IBD cats. I'm surprised pea-free foods cases diarrhea in your cat. Are you feeding canned / wet or dry?

Have you tried Natural Balance LID Green Pea and Duck?

Is your cat currently getting any medicine or supplement for the IBD?

The weight loss is concerning. IBD cats tend to have low levels of B12 which affects absorption of nutrients. B12 injections are needed. Your vet can check your cat's blood for B12 levels and determine the best course of B12.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He sees the vet often and is on Flagyl and Prednisone MWF and Zeniquin for when he has his "fever of unknown origin". He is on only wet food, the Royal Canin Select Proteins duck or rabbit which works the best for him, but he gets tired of it. No grains, no chicken, no fish. He will eat the Natural Balance but only one can and then is tired of that. So I am looking for other foods that he likes that I can add the pea to. I will try some of the foods listed here. I knew this was a good place to ask questions! Thanks!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wonder if its the peas making everything ok or something else you aren't thinking of. That just makes no sense that something a cat isn't intended to be eating in the first place stops his diarrhea. Usually its the other way around. Cats have no need for peas. Peas and legumes and such are what might be causing the heart problems in dogs. I try to avoid it in cats.

This is why I suggested a probiotic or something similar to top the food with to firm things up and help him digest better. More fiber maybe. Something other than peas...

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probiotics don't work with him. I used wheat germ for a few years and that worked. I have also used pumpkin, but so far the only ingredient that has worked has been food with green peas. I've researched peas for cats and asked the vet, but most don't think peas are a problem. I know that it's still being research, but at the moment, it's keeping him alive. He's at least 14 and probably much older so I don't want to do a lot of experimenting - which is what I would do if he was younger.

Reckia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very happy to report that his poo has been basically "picture perfect poo" (Never thought I would say that!) for several weeks now. He is on Flagyl every day and it makes him hungry enough to eat the Royal Canin HP rabbit or turkey with a cube of pumpkin per can. I freeze the pumpkin in ice trays.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful! I was just about to reply but sounds like you have it under control!:yess:
I was going to suggest switching probiotics because a different one might be more effective.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep, I agree...let's not argue with success! If his poop is ready for photographing (and we do, on occasion, we do!), then whatever you are doing is working! If it "ain't broke", don't fix it!