Adding kitten to 2 dog household

ayeshajae

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
From my experience, it's the easiest thing in the world to introduce dogs and cats, mine ignore each other or my dog annoys the crap out if the kitties until they run away which is the funniest thing ever I think indroducing two cats is much harder, cats hate cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may be making more of this than needed.  I hope so.   I just plan on going slow and see how it goes.   

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Izzy is home.  Got her Saturday morning.  Brought her in in a crate while each dog was still in their own fenced off area. The dogs didn't notice at all.   I put her in her room and let her be with the door closed.  Then on and off went into the room to interact with Izzy.  Did some scent swapping.   So throughout the day Izzy got a little curious and I let her come up to the gate with the dogs gated off a few feet down the hall.  She is getting brave now.  Comes out of her room to check things out.  Dogs still gated off.  On and off I let the dogs to her gate and on and off I kept them gated off down the hall and let Izzy come out on her own.   Still hissing going on but I think it is getting better.  Lucy jumped the gates (error) and got into Izzy's room a bit ago.  I picked Lucy up and took her out nicely,  but honestly Izzy didn't have a huge fit but she was up off the floor.  Dogs are being really well behaved.  I wasn't sure how that was gonna go.  They can pay her no mind so that is good.  So I will carry on as I am and I think it will be fine.   Whew.  Not near as much drama as I was afraid was going to happen.   Each day should get better.  So I have no doubt this will work but is a process.  

nycblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's great!! I hope Izzy and all the others continue to get along so well. The kitten has taken to sleeping on the dobermans head! They still chase her but now she initiates it and its a game! She has also discovered that they can't get her when she's on the table or back of the recliner or under the table. But of course she can still swat them when they walk by!

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow.  So it is the 6th day.  Keeping all gated off was exhausting.  But seems that is over.  Izzy would not stay in her area at all.  She just started climbing over the gates.  I was worried about keeping the dogs away from her.  lol.  Each day Izzy got more easy about the dogs and where she would go.  We have had a couple of instances in chasing but mostly not a big deal ( I put a halt on it( well ok.  as well as I can).  Lucy really wants to just play.  she paws a little hard but not on purpose.  I think Izzy figures that one out.  Of course I would not leave them out without supervision.  Izzy is put in her room while I am out.  She is pretty much whining to get out though when she hears I am up in the morning or coming home.  

nycblu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lol! I had the same thing with Blu jumping over the gates! I put up shower curtains so it appeared like they were doors and her nails couldn't grip them. Still works when I just want some peace but sometimes when they are all apart and get back together it 's all new again rather than "oh..it's you... Yawn!" It does get better but I still keep them separate when I go out.

sherrymyra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 sometimes when they are all apart and get back together it 's all new again rather than "oh..it's you... Yawn!"
Totally can see that too.  I'm careful when I first let Izzy out so they don't chase and let Izzy kind of set the pace and then it seems a little less tense and they dogs are more likely to relax about it.  

Great idea about the shower curtain.