Adding Gelatin

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Why not try giving it to them in the form of chicken feet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would that be better? I usually cut the feet off a chicken and throw them away because it's mostly all bone. 

I use beef gelatin myself every day.

I added some to some high quality kibble I got for them today. It s grain free and potato free salmon protein kibble. They seem to really like it.

I soften it in water first. I thought it might be a good change for them so they don't get bored with their food.

chevs

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, sorry. I thought your cats were raw fed. My raw fed cats adore chicken feet.

If you do raw feeding, using chicken feet as your bone component is a much better idea than throwing them away, as they are PACKED with gelatin.They're a fun, tasty, and healthy treat for dogs too.

Also, for your own use, why not make chicken stock using the feet? There's no stock like a chicken foot stock. Again, a much better way to ingest gelatin than through supplements. I have to watch out when I'm making stock, as my cats have been known to snatch a foot out of the pot and make off with it :)

Waste not, want not

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats mostly all raw but some canned fish and hydrated grain free kibble.

I'm blood type O and I need protein, and I probably need 1 TBS of gelatin a day, at least.  It wouldn't be possible to get enough organic chicken feet for me.  I often cook chicken in the crock pot and steel pressure cooker. I also make bone broth but I think real gelatin is quite a bit higher in glycine than broths. The gelatin is needed to offset the tryptophan, methionine, and cysteine in muscle meats, eggs, and dairy.

Thank you.