Adding fat to Hare Today meat

fureverloved

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I recently ordered a bunch of different meats from Hare Today, and I am now realizing that the meat is all very lean. What do you all do to add fat to these meats? I have a cat that is allergic to chicken, and  so chicken is out as an option. After just a few days on the ground boneless turkey thighs, and rabbit with bones/organs, my kitties are ravenously hungry, and showing signs of being weak! I need help quick.

Thanks for any input.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really think you need to add fat to those meats lots of raw feeders feed those no problem. Lean meat doesn't mean they should be hungry. You may just need to be feeding them more. How much are you feeding right now and how old are your cats? What are you using to balance them alnutrin, EZ, or something else?

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you're feeding only turkey and rabbit, then yes, that's a bit low on fat.  Can you put in another Hare Today order?  Get high fat meats to balance things out:  mutton or lamb, duck, and pork are all good, as well as beef if they can handle the tripe content.  My cats were crazy about mutton when they were kittens.  I believe it is the highest fat food on the Hare Today site.  

Also just to check:  you're supplementing these grinds, aren't you??  Also...you want to aim for 5 proteins for your feeding plan, with a mix of low and high fat varieties.  Two proteins is not enough.

While you're waiting for your Hare Today order, make yourself some steaks or pork chops for dinner, cut off the fatty rims along with a sliver of meat, and give that to your kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fureverloved

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the replies, y'all :)

I was able to get feedback from another source later that night, who all confirmed that the meat variety I am feeding is sufficient for fat content, along with the omega 3s. I had also purchased lamb, beef, venison, and frozen mice
, but the only thawed out and prepared meats at that time were turkey and rabbit. I was in a panic momentarily, after reading about rabbit being lean, coupled with my cats having difficulty jumping up on things (I thought was a sign they were feeling weak or something was wrong). As it turned out, my cats were not weak at all...they actually were having difficulty b/c I had just trimmed their nails, and they couldn't grip upon landing! It coincided with the first few days on those particular meats-turkey and rabbit. 

@ sophie1 They get it mixed with Alnutrin, but I mostly do a homemade supplement mix from the feline nutrition site.

All cats are currently loving the HT meats, and doing good!