Adding Canned Chicken Broth

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it okay to just add 1 tbsp. of Campbell's (or other) chicken broth to their canned Tiki Cat puka puka luau chicken that they are suddenly becoming blasé about? When I did it to their leftover food, they came back and lapped the food up. Is it safe? (I suspect Tiki Cat lately tweaked their ingredients a bit). WHY DO THEY DO THAT?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the ingredients in it? Does it have any onions or garlic?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probably way too salty. Also, if the ingredients say "spices" then it probably does have onion or garlic powder in it. When my dog was sick last winter, I bought her some low sodium organic broth. Even some of those "low sodium" brands are way too salty for pets, so you have to read the ingredients carefully.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not use any commercial broth because they often contain garlic and onion which are harmful to cats.

Instead of broth, try adding a little bit of the water canned tuna or other canned fish or even canned chicken. Don't use canned fish that is packed in oil. My cats like canned salmon.

Or just add gravy from a can of cat food to the food your cats won't eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your suggestions.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it okay to just add 1 tbsp. of Campbell's (or other) chicken broth to their canned Tiki Cat puka puka luau chicken that they are suddenly becoming blasé about? When I did it to their leftover food, they came back and lapped the food up. Is it safe? (I suspect Tiki Cat lately tweaked their ingredients a bit). WHY DO THEY DO THAT?
Our cats don't like Tiki as much lately, either, and you're right that they've changed the ingredients. It's very annoying!

I agree with the others about not using commercial chicken broth. Our cats love it when I use "chicken water" -- plain water from boiling just boneless, skinless chicken thighs for use in human recipes -- in their food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poivre

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is an excellent idea Lisahe. I happen to be making a chicken broth for soup left over from our dinner last night. I will be sure to save some of that broth and just add a tbsp. to their dish of tiki cat chicken, which they adored until the last 2 weeks. (something wicked happed up there at Tiki Cat!) They changed their recipe once again and this time the ingredients are now being listed as just "chicken" - which could mean lungs, heart, etc,) as opposed to white breast chicken as before. Shame on them! Hope their happy. My cats are NOT!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is an excellent idea Lisahe. I happen to be making a chicken broth for soup left over from our dinner last night. I will be sure to save some of that broth and just add a tbsp. to their dish of tiki cat chicken, which they adored until the last 2 weeks. (something wicked happed up there at Tiki Cat!) They changed their recipe once again and this time the ingredients are now being listed as just "chicken" - which could mean lungs, heart, etc,) as opposed to white breast chicken as before. Shame on them! Hope their happy. My cats are NOT!
Yes, save some of that broth! As long as it's just plain, it's good!

And how interesting about Tiki listing the meat as just "chicken" now. now. I'll have to check the cans I have. I know the cats are very unhappy with the Gourmet Carnivore chicken and liver, which used to be a favorite: it even looks a little different now. Not that it matters because it's being discontinued anyway! (!!!) I'm glad I've already got them eating homemade food: I've increased that to two meals most days so they're only eating a canned meal every few days. Tiki was one of the few canned foods I felt comfortable feeding but they've totally blown it! Neither the cats nor I are happy with their new ingredient lists.