Adding another cat?

brynnsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again.
I have a quick question.
I would really love to have another kitty. My Beaker is extremely energetic and playful, and I think he would really benefit from the company of another young, high energy cat.
However... We rescued a kitten that my boyfriend and I found wondering around the compound at his work last September. We brought her to our house temporarily before placing her, and Beaker absolutely HATED her. She was very young, and this was before we got him neutered. At first we thought his behaviour was sexual in nature. He would bee line for her, whenever we attempted to have them out together. Then he would jump on top and attack her neck. She was very docile and would not react, but she would scream, and we'd always end up having to separate them. About three weeks into having her, we had him neutered, and after suitable time to recover and settle down, we attempted to reintroduce them. The behaviour didn't change except now he would bite at the front of her neck. We were scared for her, and she was placed soon after.
(This is turning into a long question, sorry, lol)
So basically what I'm wondering is... Would it be better to try a cat that is maybe a bit older and able to defend itself in beginning? Or should I just give up on the idea, and get used to a one cat home? I always had more than one growing up, and I loved the companionship the cats always had with eachother. But I don't want to adopt a cat just to have to return it.
Has anyone else overcome an issue like this?
Thanks in advance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brynnsmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
130 views and nobody has any ideas?

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There are a few guides on this site to help you out. Maybe do a search on introducing cats. There is a particular way to introduce cats which requires them to be separated from each other and you slowly introduce the new cats smell to the resident cat.

Sorry I cant be of more help and provide links, but Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m sure you can find a link somewhere.

Good luck!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, it sounds to me like your cat was acting dominantly towards the kitten, which is normal. Although it does seem like he was a bit rough with her. I think you were right to separate them when she was screaming when Beaker was a little too aggressive with her.

You are right, most cats enjoy having another around for companionship,so you should be able to get a second kitty, even a kitten, if that is what you want. The main thing when introducing a new kitty to the household is that it has to have a safe zone of it's own it can go to so it feels safe. It can be a bathroom where you would have a litter box, food water etc. for it, or even your bedroom.

Cats usually don't like each other at first because they smell different from each other and smell is how they recognize each other. Try putting a dab of vanilla on their heads, base of tail, where you would scratch them, not the anal area
and under their chins. That should do the trick.

If you don't have vanilla, try using a very very light spray of your perfume or cologne. The idea is not to get their fur wet, but rather just to get them to smell the same. IE if you spray them from at least a foot away, it should be fine.

Also if there are any unresolved health issues with the new kitty, keep them apart until all is ok, so your current cat doesn't catch anything.

I would also recommend that you get a female kitten, since your Beaker is a male, as they tend to get along better. I have two boys and although they love each other, there are a lot of fights over who is going to be the alpha. With a male/female combo generally the male is automatically the alpha. But I have head that sometimes its the females who turn out to be the alpha.

Just remember when picking the new baby, try to let the kitty pick you, very important. When a cat picks you, you are sure to have a loving happy kitty friend because there was something about you that attracted it.

Oh yes, when you do bring in the new baby, make sure to give your Beaker extra attention, love and reassurance that he is still your #1, very important.

Well, pretty much all I can think of for now, please let us know what you decide to do!