adding a new kitten to mama and her 3

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About 3 weeks ago I trapped a kitten and had it spayed. Trying to socialize, very quiet, doesn't play but I can pick her up and she will purr. 4 days ago I trapped a mama and her 3 orange kittens in a different part of my community, they are in a 3 level cage while the lone grey kitten is next to them in a pet playpen. Can I try putting the lone kitten together with the mama, her kittens are a few weeks younger.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Potentially. There's something to do with age difference, that I can't find. Mom and babies should be quarantined 2 weeks first.

If the kitten you found was spayed then she is over 2 months and/or over 2 lbs right?

Do you have an approximate age for the babies with momma? If they are close in age/size you can try if Momma is calm. If not, you should wait until the youngest kittens have eyes open, walking well and playing with one another. Typically we did this at 4 to 6 weeks old, but I am unsure if that was too soon. Someone with more recent experience will hopefully chime in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, the grey kitty is about 3 months, the orange ones still nurse occasionally but eat cat food, maybe 2 months. I don't know how to estimate a kitten's age. Mama hisses at me when I reach in to pet her kittens but is not as aggressive as other adult ferals I've trapped. She seems only about 7 months old herself.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, the grey kitty is about 3 months, the orange ones still nurse occasionally but eat cat food, maybe 2 months. I don't know how to estimate a kitten's age. Mama hisses at me when I reach in to pet her kittens but is not as aggressive as other adult ferals I've trapped. She seems only about 7 months old herself.

Hopefully the above will help you.

Have you tried calling your local vet office and just asking the technician if the kittens must be fully weaned for introducing an older kitten? This is what I'm not remembering.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
PS. Amazing work taking them in and getting them sorted. I hope you have good luck finding them loving homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 dozen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
allidara, thank you. I have been tnr ing for many years but not too much experience with kittens. Have recently befriended someone who called me last year to trap a mama and 4 kittens on her property and she found a new calling socializing and homing the kittens. We just became involved with a local rescue and they can probably can help me. Thanks again!