Adapting 10 days post right rear amputation - questions

muranoblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty had fibrosarcoma, hence right rear leg amputation. She is now 10 days post. I've been home with her non-stop for the past four days. I'm seeing progress but I have questions too.

She has been retreating to her hiding spot in a closet most of the day, starting about 2 days before surgery. I think she knew something was up. Now that she is off the pain meds, I'm seeing some revival of her pre-surgery personality. (Drugged up kitty was a lovebug, I'll miss that.) However, while she is again walking (and rapidly hopping), she used to be a levitating cat. Straight up 3 feet, no problem. Her favorite toy was da bird, overhead, which generated great leaps. Her favorite spot used to be on top of a piece of furniture in front of a window. In order for her to get to her spot, I've moved a chair right next to it, because she has tried and failed to jump up to her spot. I can coax her up there via my knee with treats, but she doesn't stay. I've tried that the last 3-4 days. She eats the bribes and then back to the closet.

Her second favorite spot was up against the screen doors in the sunshine. Today she went to the door and meowed to get it open, then sat in the sunshine for maaaaybe 30 seconds. Then back to the closet.

She has starting coming out for meals when called and today she actually demanded breakfast, 4 hours later than normal, but sitll I thought a good sign. Then back to the closet.

She came out of the closet this morning, seemed to want attention briefly, but repeatedly. Then she tried to get into a box, so I put out a paper bag and new box for her. She checked out the box, lay in it for a while, then got tangled up with herself trying to stand up. She rolled across the floor, yowling, then lay still on her chest for a moment before getting in the litter box. She's had these incidents daily since the surgery. This was the first one I saw from start to finish. (While writing this, it happened again. She seems to have a problem getting up.)

She is now going to the closet when my neighbor is out in the yard. She wasn't afraid of him before.

She has a fountain, so I can't tell from the water level how much water she is drinking vs evaporation. I've put out extra bowls of waterI've been adding water to her cat food (Friskies Shreds). She is drinking the gravy with gusto. She is not eating as much food as she before, perhaps about half.

And while writing this, it seemed to me that she is restless - in and out of the closet, the box, litter box, the paper bag, the other closet, my bed, back door, front door, multiple ear and chin scratchies.

So those of you who have been through with your kitties, is this par for the course? Any tips?

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no experience with this type of situation but want to send my very heartfelt wishes for good healing for your cat. And good wishes for you too as I'm sure this is an upsetting time.

You don't mention how old your cat is but I gather well adult. This surgery is a major life change for her. You cannot explain it to her - all she knows is that her leg is gone, her balance is off, her life has had a major (negative) change.

Ten days is nothing! She will adjust but not overnight. Keep it simple, love on her, and day by day things will improve / get better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muranoblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Appreciate the kind words.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you joined the site and came here for advice and support. I also have no personal experience with Fibrosarcoma and amputation but would like to send healing vibes to your sweet girl.:vibes::vibes::vibes: I'm guessing the closet is her safety place where she feels the most secure. With regards to her wanting to be in her favorite spot, i.e. on top of a piece of furniture to look out the window, perhaps you could get pet steps. There are many varieties, here's an example of one type:
Amazon.com : Pet Gear Easy Step III Pet Stairs : Pet Supplies

There are also litter boxes with one side open which would give her easy access such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M31ZFKY/?tag=thecatsite

Do you have a follow-up appointment with your vet? I would suggest calling them with any questions or concerns you have noticed. Best of luck to both you and your cat, please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muranoblue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have an appointment on the 2nd to have the stitches removed, but she is also doing lot better. I suspect, in hindsight, that the morning when she was so miserable may have been because it was 24 hours after the last pain meds. She actually played tonight. She'd been watching the lures intently but tonight she grabbed and "killed" one. Yay! I've made new spot for her up next to my computer with a box to help her up. She has been going up and down to it and she slept there most of last night. She visited me in the middle of the night too. I am considering pet steps. I have a bed step for myself and she is using it too now. My vet and the vet surgeon have repeatedly said that eventually she'll get around with no impairment. I'm choosing to believe them.

I did put out a very low sided litter box, which she walked through several times on the way to her litter robot. I also bought the steps for the litter robot and took down the fence. She is still a champion litter kicker, so I'm hoping to get the fence back up later.

Thank you for the kind response.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update and good news. So happy to hear she's improving. Good luck at your appointment on the 2nd. :goodluck: