Adaptation to new home

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, about 10 days ago we moved from Turkey to the United Kingdom with an 18 hour trip with my cat. She is still not adapted to our new home, she is scared of every little noise and wants to hide all the time. She eats and drinks as usual but other than that she looks depressed. I try to entertain her with her favorite treats and toys but I am starting to be concerned. Is it too early to be concerned? How long will it take for her to adapt do you think?

Also the temperature is quite different here, colder compared to where we came from and I noticed she is sneezing more than usual and has cold paws. Any recommendation making her adapt to the new climate? I bought her a sweater, provided lots of soft blankets, warm areas next to the radiator but she didn’t go there much

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Your little girl has been through a lot, and given all the changes it will likely take her much more than 10 days to adapt. Some cats don't like to be confined with something like a sweater, so that might be doing as much harm as the good you were hoping for.

The sneezing, if somewhat normal for her, may not be a big issue. But, stress can bring on symptoms like that. It could also be allergy related to her new environment too.

This TCS article is labeled for kittens and moving them to a new home, but it applies just as much to adult cats.
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment or House - TheCatSite

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you're doing everything right. If you're able to, follow her same routine from before you moved. Don't make a fuss over her unless she's looking for it. The more normal you act the quicker she'll adjust.

Do you have a self warming mat? I place it under a blanket so I don't have to wash it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PF1KYYK/?tag=

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Patience, and more patience! Cats are such creatures of habit. My own girl would have snit-fits for a week if I moved a major piece of furniture! So, 10 days into a move of that magnitude sounds like "business as usual" to me. Try to relax, so that she doesn't pick up on your own anxiety. It takes a cat ABOUT three weeks to reset their internal GPS system after a major move, their "homing instinct," so I'm not surprised when cats take that length of time to adjust to moves over long distances. I, personally, think the two are linked together.

And don't forget that EVERYTHING is new to her. The rooms aren't in the same places, the furniture isn't in the same place, the food and water dishes are not in the same place, and her litter box has moved, as well. She'll get there.

Revison

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also recommend playing something like this for her:
All the sounds are new to her. So some calming music takes the edge off as it provides a constant sound, so that other sounds are not as jarring to the cat.
Wow, I never thought about music as an aid for the adaptation. Love it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, I never thought about music as an aid for the adaptation. Love it.
The first cat I truly owned/paid for, Nobel, was nervous when we first moved. It wasn't until I threw some music on while I was unpacking that he came out from his hiding place. I've used music since but the one with purring was a game changer for helping new cats relax.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While this is too late for the current situation, should you have to move to another home in the future, I suggest taking an old sheet and throwing it over her favorite lounging spot as soon as you know you will be moving. Let her shed ALL over it. The day before moving day, cut that sheet into 12-18 inch squares, fold (fur side in), and tuck into a bag. Once you are at the new home, take the squares, unfold them, and place them in every room before she comes out of her carrier. That way her scent is everywhere, and she'll feel more at home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Betuncay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
While this is too late for the current situation, should you have to move to another home in the future, I suggest taking an old sheet and throwing it over her favorite lounging spot as soon as you know you will be moving. Let her shed ALL over it. The day before moving day, cut that sheet into 12-18 inch squares, fold (fur side in), and tuck into a bag. Once you are at the new home, take the squares, unfold them, and place them in every room before she comes out of her carrier. That way her scent is everywhere, and she'll feel more at home.
This is a great advice, I actually did this! I took the blanket she used to lay on and put it inside her carrier and now on her bed. Now shr is sleeping on it every night :)