Ad issues and script issues

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
There's an ad on this site that keeps freezing my browser due to "long running scripts" I don't know wexcatly what it is since it never loads right, but it's whatever comes before the pot-it note ads in the rotation. (or it could be the post-it ads and they only load after I manually stop the script.)

Just thought I should mention this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
IE 9
Update version 9.0.17

It just seems to happen on my desktop. The tablet version (that I' m replying from ) is okay.

Last edited:

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Try updating your version of IE.  I've been using IE10.0.6 and haven't been able to replicate the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Its actually my computer at work, so I can't update it. I guess it just means no forums for me on coffee break until IT upgrades us. Thanks for looking into it.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been getting messages lately when I try to browse TCS in Firefox. A dialog box comes up and says that a script is having problems and do I want to continue or stop the script? No matter which I choose the browser processes for a while and then returns with the same dialog box.

Does anyone have the same problem and know how to fix it? This started happening about 2-3 weeks ago. It does not happen in Google Chrome.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What version of Firefox are you using?

Also, you can select "Stop Script" and it shouldn't cause any problems.

Last edited:

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Version 21.0

Choosing "Stop Script" merely causes the browser to process more, then come back with the same error message many times. Eventually it will end, but that is after about 10 tries. Most of the time I find force quitting the browser to be faster.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Version 21.0

Choosing "Stop Script" merely causes the browser to process more, then come back with the same error message many times. Eventually it will end, but that is after about 10 tries. Most of the time I find force quitting the browser to be faster.
. Plus, it is directly related to the Windows OS. Since, it does not happen at work or at home on my Mac or Linux OS computers.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
What about updating to Firefox 22.0? It's out now. Have you tried disabling ad-ons/extensions to see if one of them is causing the problem? Something like NoScript or Adblock Plus might be interfering.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about updating to Firefox 22.0? It's out now. Have you tried disabling ad-ons/extensions to see if one of them is causing the problem? Something like NoScript or Adblock Plus might be interfering.
Good ideas. I tried them, and the problem went away, at least for now. But I can't say exactly what solved it. Here's what happened:

Updated to Firefox 22. This caused me to be able to stop the script after 1 or 2 tries, but everytime I went to a different page, the script would try to load again and I'd have to stop it.

Disabled add-ons and extensions: There was one extension for Avast anti-virus that I would really prefer to have on. For some reason it was initially disabled. So for my first try I disabled all BUT Avast. No luck. So I turned disabled everything. Then it worked! But I really do want the Avast protection, so I turned it on again in the hope that I would be able to figure something else out. It worked! But wait, that's not consistent, so I tried a couple more times with the Avast extension both on and off. It worked regardless.

So for now I'm running. Thanks! Will be back if this is a temporary fix.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I restarted the entire computer just to make sure, and had the same problem. But this time I only had to stop the script once and not on each web page. Irritating, but I can live with it this way.
. Plus, it is directly related to the Windows OS. Since, it does not happen at work or at home on my Mac or Linux OS computers.
Forgot to add last time that It does not seem to happen under Windows 7 and Chrome browser.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AAAARRRGGGGHHH!

Maybe I should wait a bit before I post. Same problem recurring as I browse around the site. Seems to go away if I click the "Stop Script" button once or twice, but not a good enough solution. I'll check back for any solutions, but I guess I'll be using Chrome for a while.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
AAAARRRGGGGHHH!

Maybe I should wait a bit before I post. Same problem recurring as I browse around the site. Seems to go away if I click the "Stop Script" button once or twice, but not a good enough solution. I'll check back for any solutions, but I guess I'll be using Chrome for a while.
Is this happening with or without the Avast add-on?

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I've been problem free long enough to declare the cookie cleansing the cure!

Thanks, jcat! And thanks to everyone else for their suggestions and efforts!

Last edited: