Acute Pancreatitis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
all the advice is spot on. Ask vet about Pepcid ac. get a pill popper and empty capsules. Pepcid is very bitter and will cause foaming at the mouth. don't mix in food. coat pill with butter-insert into pill popper. follow with syringe of water. feed 30 minutes later once it's kicked in. some cats need it every 12 hours. some 24. let the vet decide.

This is the best way to give meds-get some empty #3 or #2 capsules on amazon. put meds in-coat the larger section of pill with butter-this is the end sticking out of popper...have cat on a soft chair facing you-open mouth with one hand with finger and thumb on each side of jaw-as you bend your hand backwards-the head should fall backwards and mouth open-you can use the pinky of same hand to get mouth open enough to stick popper in back of tongue-push plunger-follow with water and treats.
Thanks for some great information!

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Todays Update on Kabbit - So excited. Around 3:30 am he went to his bowl and ate some dry food and did it again around 8:00 am. He kept it down without any problems and is still drinking water on his own. We are still continuing the recovery food and he's being great about it! Per Vet we are to add Miralax, SameE, and potassium supplement.
One day at a time, we are getting there!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I hope it helps!
Here's a list of foods to tempt the appetite for the wee one:

Meat babyfood-any flavor-ham is the most popular
chicken rotisserie
Sliced low salt deli meats.
cheese-use sparingly=makes constipation!
plain yogurt-no sugar added-helps gut bacteria
Kitten milk replacement-either canned or powdered-mix it up then add to some wet food if they won't eat it by itself. Walmart carries both kinds.
plain boiled chicken pork turkey etc-no bones/skin etc. you can shred it into small pieces to make easier to eat
scrambled eggs-make sure fully cooked.

basically any meat type food without bones/skin- play around- some cats LOVE ham more than chicken. my angel Floey before she left us-used to sit and stare at you if you had a turkey leg from the grocery store-she would jump up and snatch it out of our dish. She also loved butter. she liked licking the butter off bread then nawed on the bread-doesn't bother them unless a food allergy-I only let her eat a few bites but try different combinations. But make sure treat for nausea first.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if the miralax doesn't go well you can opt for plain canned pumpkin. some cats love it. some HATE it. if yours doesn't like it-you can do the smear technique-put it on your fingertip and smear on roof of mouth. They will sit and try to get it out of mouth but usually swallow it before they spit it out. 1/2 teaspoon is starting amount-generally 1 tsp a day works to keep bowels moving. some cats take both miralax and pumpkin. my young cat loves pumpkin-I put it in a dish-add water-whip it till looks like pudding.then she licks it off my fingers. my old cat HATES it and runs out of the room when I open the container..so she gets miralax.. at least kitty is NOW eating!! that's a good thing!

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Please check with your vet before using any of our suggestions. While Pepcid AC can't hurt, it's important to run it by your vet as only he/she knows your cat's full medical history. Pepcid AC halts bile production for a cat, and allows the pancreas to rest. Humans are not the same as cats and unless your vet suggests the cat fast, DO NOT DO THIS.

B12 in only done via an injection. They will dilute it with water as it stings in it's concentraed form. I learned how to give the b12 shots, so ask your vet to show you.

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
So here we are, 20! Days after urgent care and diagnosis of acute pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis. Giving 1/4 Pepcid once a day and Denamarin once a day ( per Vet). Eats a little wet food off and on when offered, but it's hit and miss. Throws up a little stomach acid once maybe twice a day, sometimes none. Urinating good and bowel movements small but okay. No jaundice at all. Acts like his normal self most days.

Feeding every 2 1/2 - 3 hours from early morning to bedtime. Food options and water left out
and monitored to see if he eats. QUESTION: is it possible to much feeding and not giving him an opportunity to eat on his own.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can always try to back off on feeding and see how it goes...You can still ask about Cerenia..Pepcid only helps so much. I have seen big improvements on Cerenia or ask for Zofran if Cerenia doesn't work. Something tells me its still constipation-too small poops are constipation= add canned pumpkin or ask vet for other suggestions as I don't want to get introuble for giving medical advice..it's also possible to use baby food squash. once a day 1 teaspoon-add to food or hand feed.

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
You can always try to back off on feeding and see how it goes...You can still ask about Cerenia..Pepcid only helps so much. I have seen big improvements on Cerenia or ask for Zofran if Cerenia doesn't work. Something tells me its still constipation-too small poops are constipation= add canned pumpkin or ask vet for other suggestions as I don't want to get introuble for giving medical advice..it's also possible to use baby food squash. once a day 1 teaspoon-add to food or hand feed.
Thanks. The Vet suggested Mylanta but I may try the squash to see if he likes it

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
How’s your baby? Can you share an update?
Thank you!
Sorry, I’m just now reading this post. Sadly, we lost Kabbit one week ago on 3/12/18. We are devastated because he was doing great! After pulling him through his first attack of pancreatitis and hepatic lipidosis, we thought we beat it. He was a happy healthy cat until the day we lost him.
We are not really sure what happened but the vet feels it was to do with the pancreas. We knew it was much worse than before keeping him close, holding his little paws when we lost him.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss! Having lost two cats to CRF, I know that it's especially difficult when you've nursed them through and illness. Please be comforted that you extended his life and that he was 'a happy, healthy' cat at the end.

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. It will take time. He was very special!

PollyJ

10 year old cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for the sweet words. It’s only been nine days and still seems unreal. Kabbit was a special fur baby. After almost losing him then nursing him back to health for almost a month, the bond was even stronger for us. The past 8 months were great. I can truly say he was one happy cat! He was in every aspect of our lives from the time we got up until we went to bed. Then he waited patiently for me to get settled in so he could lay beside my pillow. Then I’d tuck him in with his camo blanket for the night. Kabbit is now wrapped in his camo blanket forever. Our hearts will always hurt.