Acute Kidney Failure - Increased Thirst And Urination

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The odyssey of Merlin, most unlucky cat I've ever met. :disappointed:
After a 3 days course of Onsior for joint pain, Merlin started to drink a lot (and I mean really a lot, like a whole bowl in 5-6 hours, plus canned food) and urinate almost 6 times a day. Kidney function was perfect just a month ago, he wasn't dehydrated before the therapy or anything like it. So of course it's not chronic kidney failure.
Except for the polyuria and polydipsia, he's totally fine. Active, eating a lot, stool better than ever. Today he is maybe a bit better (60 ml of water drank in 20 hour).
The vet told us to wait until monday to repeat a blood test, since he looks fine. But it could be acute kidney failure (or damage). It's weird though, because usually they have different symptoms.
Has this ever happened to one of your cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Here's Merlin today on the vet table. Of course he doesn't know there's any problem, so he's just annoyed

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Drinking and urinating a LOT isn't just a sign of kidney disease, it can also be a sign of diabetes, along with other things. So no blood work at all today, just wait and see until Monday?

I would say it's a good sign that he doesn't have any other symptoms of acute kidney failure. Let's keep our fingers crossed that's it's not that. :crossfingers:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the joint pain chronic....or did he injure himself?

I would want to steer clear of using Onsior for anything chronic.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not clear if it's chronic pain, it started suddenly and he's very young. I think we're done with NSAIDs anyway....
I know it could be diabetes, but the blood glucose was perfectly normal in december :confused2:
This morning he is full of energy and eating a lot. And drinking a lot, just like previous days.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quick update: we have done an urinalysis. Urine specific gravity was 1018, mild proteinuria but no glucose, no cylindruria or other kidney cells. They told me we have to re-do the test in a few days, but it's unlikely to have an acute kidney injury with no cylindruria (it's a signal of tubular damage).
Today he is fine. He still drinks more than usual, but only peed twice so far (it's 5 pm here), so I guess it's getting better....?