acupuncture????

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy made 19yo in Jan.
She has arthritis in her back legs.
She's been taking Dasiquin and Selensia shots for a while, plus Hemp oil everyday.
She still moves around, but back side is hunched down, and sometimes stumbles when turning.
Still ably to hop up on to the bed, couch and her perch.
I was wonder if anyone here has done acupuncture????

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I did long term on a dog. Weekly standing appointment for about a year. I considered it to be successful and even took a second dog when the previously mentioned one passed on. Both dogs seemed relaxed and comfortable after the treatment but I also based my opinion on humans who had said how much it relieved pain from various conditions.

We did the dry needle form and I never saw either dog react in pain. A very experienced practitioner has to perform the procedure and the cat will have to be able to be calm enough to allow it as the needles stay in place for a short period of time.

Acupuncture for Cats: What You Need To Know - Cats.com
This article explains the various types of acupuncture and gives more general information.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had acupuncture done on a few cats in my life, for different reasons, both physical and behavioral, and I have to say that it always worked fine.
We had weekly appointments, every Thursday, for a few weeks. On a single occasion/issue, one appointment was enough to fix the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sent a email to one place a friend suggested.
$300 for an orientation meeting.
Not sure what that all about, but I'll be looking around.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that $300 only to discuss what to do? 😳

I was extremely lucky, I never paid for my acupuncture sessions (about 20 appointments overall). The vet didn't want any money from me.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Depending on where you are, there is often a consultation charge which runs about $250 or so. For acupuncture, I did not have to do one, but I did for any other procedures that I wanted for my pets. The last time one of my dogs had acupuncture was 2010 and it was $50 per half hour which I am sure is more now.

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
" If you're looking to start acupuncture, we will need to set up an hour-long consultation that will cost about $ 300. "
Just to talk.
I think that is outrageous.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Ummm, what makes the cat stay still long enough? Are you really holding them down all this time?

abunaione

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was wondering about that too.
I've looked on line and it seems they also put needles in to calm the cat down.
Without me in the room, I'm not sure it will happen.
Sandy is old, and I don't want to put her through to much stress.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't waste the money. Accupuncture only works by placebo effect but cats don't understand things in a way to make it work. It's only the human's confirmation bias that makes it seem to work. In reality, you're only just torturing the cat.

Three hundred dollars for just a consultation?! That's CRIMINAL! A person should go to jail for charging money for such quacksalvery!

If your cat is old and infirm, it would be better to spend the money on making her comfortable in her last days instead of sticking needles in her ass!

If you don't like the treatment plan your vet recommends, tell them so and tell them why.

If they don't listen to you, find another vet.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All cats that I took in to the vets for the acupuncture stayed still for the whole session, even if they were active cats. A single session lasts not shorter than 20 minutes. The cat shouldn't be touched during the whole length of the session.
No further needles were inserted oter than those necessary to treat the issue.
The requirement is that the owner is calm. The vet who is performing the acupuncture has their own special inner calm.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't waste the money. Accupuncture only works by placebo effect but cats don't understand things in a way to make it work. It's only the human's confirmation bias that makes it seem to work. In reality, you're only just torturing the cat.
In my few cases, it worked perfectly. Four cats treated, all of them had their issues solved.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been going to an acupuncturist (for myself) for many years and I'm very pleased with the results .I do wonder how a cat would hold still for needles. I might ask my acupuncturist the next time I see him. Though that could be years, as at this point I only see him when I mess up my back.

Last edited:

CHIKITTIES

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is getting acupuncture treatment once a month since 2020 for her GI issues and general maintenance (longevity support). Normally she stays still licking Churu. Few occasion she became so relaxed and almost fell asleep. She was doing funny/stiff walk in January and we tried laser acupuncture, that seemed to work very well, no more funny walk!

As for initial consultation fee I think it depends on the miledge; we had 1 hour (or bit more) initial consulation with similar $ and went through all her medical history, discussion around diet, to come up to treatment plan. Yes really hour long talking! If you are looking for someone like my (human) acupuncturist - "OK you have sholder pain, let's treat that!" - that maybe a bit overkill.

EDIT - her Dr is DVM and CVA, not just acupuncturist
I hope you can find something to further help Sandy in addition to all the things you are already doing for her! :petcat: