Active Girl After Spay

DoraisMyExplorer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Guys!
I am a new cat mom. I got my little Dora in January of this year. She is a very skittish kitty. She just turned a year in May. She is just now adjusting to getting used to me. She'll cuddle in bed with me and follow me around at night. She doesn't let anyone even me get to close during the day. She only likes my roommate sometimes. I got her spayed yesterday. I picked her up from the vet around 6 PM. We got home and she hid the first two hours. After that she came out and ate. I had her confined to just my room but she was getting antsy and she seemed stressed so I let her out. We have two other fixed boy cats that are usually pretty gentle with her as they are older. But she was walking around and playing a bit. I'm just so scared that she will rip her stitches open. They used the dissolving glue. The vet told me to keep her separated and confined but she was miserable doing that. I'll be away this weekend with having someone stop by to check on her but no one and not even me can really look at the incision. She won't let me get close to her to much. She's still kinda freaked out about being put in a cage. I'm not sure what to do. If I just keep letting her go about her business or just confine her anyways. I'm just nervous. She's my very first fur baby.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can do a lot of damage to them self if they are too active, or they lick at the stitches. I vote to make her wear the cone, and keep her confined to your room so she will not pay and run with the boys. Better unhappy than hurt. And someone will need to check her incision site ever day or so. You will want to watch for much swelling, discharge, or if it looks to be opening up. Its important to keep checking. 14 days after surgery is normally the green light for normal activity. Its a common surgery, but it is still major surgery.

Most cats do not have problems, but problems are more common than many realize, and when they start you need to get it taken care of quickly. Otherwise it can get bad.

Best of luck, for no problems :heartshape:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she will NOT wear a cone, you can take an appropriately-sized pair of socks and cut the leg off of one of them. Slip it over her body to cover the stitches. You want this to be snug enough to stay in place as she moves, but NOT tight. That will offer protection from licking, and may just slow her down a bit, as well. Just be sure to check the incision daily for swelling and oozing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DoraisMyExplorer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's the thing. She unfortunately won't let us very close to her to check the incision. I'm trying to look she doesn't bother it at all and doesn't lick it. From what I've watched. She was never much of a licker. I'm gunna try to get her to come up by me tonight so I can take a look but shes very skittish

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just...do the very best you can. It is all you can do, after all. And to give you a bit of ease, almost all feral cats who are TNR'd are returned to their colonies the same day as they are spayed, and ALMOST ALL of them do just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DoraisMyExplorer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got to look at her stitches and they look great. She's much more restful today. Laying around and hiding in small spots to be alone. When I crawled down by her to pet her she would be purring like crazy. I'm thinking she's going to do great. Thank you for the advice

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's what we are here for! Now that things are going better, stick around and enjoy the site. Lots of fun, games, and other folks who will benefit from your experience, as well!