Acting Strange = Sick ???

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, my cat has been acting a little strange lately...
She's not usually a very cuddly cat, but suddenly one day she sat on my lap and slept for over an hour... this has never happened before in the two years that i've had her... then for the days after that, she would disappear for hours... I would not be able to find her. At all. Even though she's not usually a physically very cuddly cat, she's usually quite clingy and would not let me out of her sight for most of the day... it is very rare for her to disappear for such long periods. She is otherwise eating and sleeping well, and does not have any physical signs of injury/pain/etc.

Just wondering does this mean that she is sick?? The suddenly being very cuddly and then hiding for hours?? Because I read somewhere that if a cat suddenly becomes affectionate and/or hides for a long time then it could mean that there is something wrong... which worries me quite a bit😰

Some background information: she is a 8 year old DSH, no major health issues besides some allergies (that she gets an immunotherapy injection for every 10 days) and slightly elevated kidney levels (the vet says it's nothing to worry about, but we have put her on aventi kidney complete for it for about half a year now)

Sorry for the long post, TIA! Here's a picture of my cat as a sign of gratitude💕
212f1995-6eb1-4ac6-abfd-ef8933baf047.jpg

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would probably bring the hiding up to the vet. There is something wrong for a cat to hide, may or may not be physical. It is an instinct left over from the wild. A cat that is feeling vulnerable will instinctively hide as protection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would probably bring the hiding up to the vet. There is something wrong for a cat to hide, may or may not be physical. It is an instinct left over from the wild. A cat that is feeling vulnerable will instinctively hide as protection.
thanks for the reply! i was thinking it may also be because she doesn't like it when i try to tell her to sleep in her bed/our room? because she always tries to sleep in the middle of the hallway like a homeless kitty and sometimes i would try to carry her inside😅

Hannah518

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If it is unusual for your kitty to find spots to post up, then I'd definitely take her in for a check up or give your vet a ring. My cats are very affectionate, sometimes they like cozy warm hampers and spots under the bed, but when they disappear in places that are not normal, it usually means they are sick or scared of something. This happened to me a few weeks ago. Both my cats must have had shared bad can of cat food because they were finding ANY spot to hide. Behind mirrors, in the box springs, closet. Then they both started throwing up and pooping everywhere. I had to take both to emergency. haha. Not saying that this is happening with your cat or else you would have known by now, but it may be something worth checking.

Cats are masters of disguise. My little guy will still be playing through fevers and eating and drinking. If it's been a while since the last check up, maybe just schedule a routine exam and then keep an eye on her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soubida

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is unusual for your kitty to find spots to post up, then I'd definitely take her in for a check up or give your vet a ring. My cats are very affectionate, sometimes they like cozy warm hampers and spots under the bed, but when they disappear in places that are not normal, it usually means they are sick or scared of something. This happened to me a few weeks ago. Both my cats must have had shared bad can of cat food because they were finding ANY spot to hide. Behind mirrors, in the box springs, closet. Then they both started throwing up and pooping everywhere. I had to take both to emergency. haha. Not saying that this is happening with your cat or else you would have known by now, but it may be something worth checking.

Cats are masters of disguise. My little guy will still be playing through fevers and eating and drinking. If it's been a while since the last check up, maybe just schedule a routine exam and then keep an eye on her.
thanks for the reply! she is due for her next injection next week, so maybe i will keep an eye on her to see if she continue acting strange and get her checked out when she goes...

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just wondering does this mean that she is sick?? The suddenly being very cuddly and then hiding for hours?? Because I read somewhere that if a cat suddenly becomes affectionate and/or hides for a long time then it could mean that there is something wrong... which worries me quite a bit😰
You read correctly. Here's an Article that discusses the signs indicating your cat may be sick or in pain:
35 Signs That Your Cat May Be In Pain – Cat Articles

BTW, no gratitude necessary, she's absolutely beautiful. :bicolorcat: