Acting out, pica or tomcat behavior?

Sarah 1980

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old neutered tomcat.

But he is chewing on the corners of the wood at the scratching poles.

Also he is idiotic vocal. He miauws really loud. Demanding attention.

He has been to the vet. But they can't find anything.

Ignoring him is not an option, because we live in an appartment building.

Any ideas on what we can do?

Hé is neutered a month ago. So could it still have something to do with being a tomcat?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 1 year old neutered tomcat.

But he is chewing on the corners of the wood at the scratching poles.

Also he is idiotic vocal. He miauws really loud. Demanding attention.

He has been to the vet. But they can't find anything.

Ignoring him is not an option, because we live in an appartment building.

Any ideas on what we can do?

Hé is neutered a month ago. So could it still have something to do with being a tomcat?
Hello S sarah1980 and sweet boy, and welcome to TCS! Very glad he is neutered! He may be lonely. Is there any possibility you might adopt another cat? If you want to, there are lots of great tutorials here on TCS and on YouTube from cat behaviorist extraordinaire, Jackson Galaxy, "The Cat Daddy" about how to successfully introduce a new adoptee to your cat.
Does he have plenty of toys, one or more scratching pad(s) and activity center(s)/cat tree(s), hopefully near window(s) so he will have stimuli to entertain him? Do you interactively play with him? Most cats LOVE wand and lure toys such as da Bird or Cat Dancer, available at just about all venues that sell cat supplies. And most cats love time on the lap, and conversations with their humans. They are highly intelligent.
Is your cat all or part Siamese or Burmese, by any chance? These cats do tend to be quite vocal.
As for chewing, you might want to cover the part he is chewing with some cloth sprayed with a bitter break spray for cats (also available widely) to deter his chewing.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats just like to chew - if you discourage him from chewing on the scratch poles he may turn to a more objectionable surface to chew like a bed or furniture post so unless he is actually eating the wood I would let him do it. You could try giving him a heavy duty cardboard box to play with and chew on. Mine with spend a good deal of time chewing the sides of the box and spitting the pieces out.

As far as the meowing, he just may be a vocal cat that has something to say about everything. By all means talk back to him when he tries to communicate. But he may also just be wound up and in need of more interaction and exercise. I would make sure he gets a good high energy play period everyday with a wand or a laser light and that you play until he seems visibly tired.