Accurate scale for weighing a cat

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spent a few days researching a scale and method for weighing a cat. Hold the cat and stepping on a home scale generally isn't very accurate, since everytime I stand on one of these scales the weight varies a bit. I finally found this article by a vet, and he recommends the Odowalker luggage scale which is very inexpensive and very accurate. I found one for about $10 on line plus shipping.

Weighing your cat at home | Exclusively Cats Veterinary Hospital, Waterford, MI

Now the second problem is how to hook this scale to something that contains the cat. I tried putting my cat in a large bag, but she wouldn't go for that at all. Then I decided to hook this scale onto her cat carrier, which it turned out weighed just about 5.5 pounds. The scale weighs up to 25 pounds, so this left plenty of room to weigh the cat plus the carrier. Turns out my cat weighs 9.6 pounds, and now I will weigh her once a month to ,make sure she isn't gaining too much weight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't help you with your specific question, but just wanted to offer that I bought a digital baby/pet/adult scale that is supposed to weigh accurately within 2 oz. No matter how I positioned Feeby on it, there was nearly always a variance. It has a detachable tray, so I took off the tray and now use it as an adult scale - weighing Feeby and me together first, then just me. To help ensure the weight readings are accurate, I turn the scale on and let it automatically shut off, then turn it on again - this seems to be a recalibration of sorts, although none of the instructions say anything about doing this. After several back-to-back weigh-ins, and getting the exact same numbers each time, I feel pretty confident about the results. The scale also flashes when a reading has been 'secured'.

Amazon.com: BYKAZATY Pet Scale with Tape Measure, Multi-Function Baby Scale, Infant Scale Digital Weight with Height Tray(Max: 70cm), Measure Weight Accurately(Max: 220lb), Perfect for Toddler/Puppy/Cat/Dog/Adult: Health & Personal Care

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spent a few days researching a scale and method for weighing a cat. Hold the cat and stepping on a home scale generally isn't very accurate, since everytime I stand on one of these scales the weight varies a bit. I finally found this article by a vet, and he recommends the Odowalker luggage scale which is very inexpensive and very accurate. I found one for about $10 on line plus shipping.

Weighing your cat at home | Exclusively Cats Veterinary Hospital, Waterford, MI

Now the second problem is how to hook this scale to something that contains the cat. I tried putting my cat in a large bag, but she wouldn't go for that at all. Then I decided to hook this scale onto her cat carrier, which it turned out weighed just about 5.5 pounds. The scale weighs up to 25 pounds, so this left plenty of room to weigh the cat plus the carrier. Turns out my cat weighs 9.6 pounds, and now I will weigh her once a month to ,make sure she isn't gaining too much weight.
Thanks! This is awesome. :biggrin: :jump: I've been looking for a scale that didn't cost a lot of money. Call me crazy, but $40+ for a baby scale (or any scale) is ridiculous in my opinion. Thank you so much!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just put your cat in a carrier and weight them. Then deduct the weight of the carrier alone