Accommodating A 3-legged Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello again!

So we have had Carlisle in our home for three days now, and it's going well for the most part!

Florine, my resident cat, wants nothing to do with him. They've been separated in different rooms and at first florine sat by the door and hissed, but now she's got zero interest and otherwise seems fine, she will meow if me and my girlfriend are both in the room with Carlisle though so we do our best to have one of us in each room. They are both needy cats lol!

Carlisle did run out of the room yesterday and he meowed over and over again at Florine, like, really pathetic meows? And Florine stared at him until he had inched his way to be about a foot away from her, and then she hissed and I grabbed Carlisle and put him back in his room. Does anyone have any idea why he would be meowing so sadly? Dramatically?

Otherwise things are going well. Carlisle is veerrryyy needy and during the night while you are sleeping he will lay on your neck and head and headbutt you, squirm around, and purr. Which is cute! But I need to be able to sleep, so we are hoping as he settles in that behavior will stop. Any tips are welcome!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's lonely and/or social. She's territorial, but not very. Are you doing the slow introduction? it should help. On top of every thing else, he may still smell like the vet, which could be freaking her. That he's only got three legs shouldn't bother her. Cats don't seem to be bothered by that sort of thing.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, he wants to be friends with her and so far she is not taking the bait. I bet she will warm up to him soon. It may take a bit, as she will need time to establish she is Boss Kitty and he accepts and abides. Then they will probably be BFFs.

My RB Siamese did not want to have anything to do with a new kitten and before we knew it, she was treating him like he was her own baby. She may have slapped him a few times during the slow introduction process, but soon all was well.

I have had two cats with missing legs in the past. Both had to have amputations, my childhood Persian a back leg and my DSH Blackberry a front leg. They adjusted very well.

Daisy, who has all four legs, was having trouble jumping up on our new, taller sofa. We bought her a little set of pet stairs. They were only about $30.00 and work like a charm.

After he gets used to your home and becomes friends with your other cat, his nocturnal behavior may change. He may find himself spending more time with her and less trying to get your attention at night.

I wish you well and am confident you will have great success. Bless you and your girlfriend for giving this new fellow a loving home.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

florine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
nurseangel nurseangel Thanks for the reply! I worry because she is definitely a queen bee, and I don't want her to feel unsafe in her own home... So I will keep up the slow introductions and keep them separated for now!

I just went out and got feliway multicat so hopefully that helps settle things as well-- I want them to be okay in the same room as soon as possible because neither one likes to be alone so me and my girlfriend aren't able to spend a lot of time together in the same room without me feeling bad or one of the cats crying lol. So I just have to remind myself to take my time!!

Thanks again!

ChaoticEva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but just in case.

For my 3 legged kitty, Banjo, I have these little steps near my bed, near the cat tree and near the couch for him to climb up on more easily. I also have a lot of beds/soft areas on the floor so that he always has a comfy place to lay, even if he can't or doesn't want to climb up on the couch or bed.

An important note : It is VERY important that he stay lean and not gain too much weight. Banjo got to 16lbs (now 11lbs) and we are dealing with severe osteoarthritis in his remaining back leg.

But even with all the steps and beds I have laying around, he's still able to climb up on things without an issues (at least when he isn't in pain). He even climbs up the cat tree! :)

MeganP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there, I know this thread is old, but how did feliway multicast work for Carlisle and Florine? I’m in a similar situation right now with my queen bee who I’ve had for four years and a new kitten, soon to be a tripod. My husband and I are either in separate rooms with the cats, or together but a cat is crying and we feel horrible. I want to help the two warm up to each other a little more quickly if possible!