Acclimating new arrivals at a shelter

drbobcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a variation on the much-asked question by comforting cats in new surroundings:  What do you think the best methods for reducing fear and nerves in cats that are recently introduced to a shelter?  The next two days I'll be "cat cuddling" and adopting out three adults and two kittens.  They were all brought in from foster care on Saturday, but by Sunday evening were still petrified.  One, in fact, was not eating or using the box.  I know all the basics about calming cats, but I wondered if people had some good stuff to try. 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Than k you so much for doing what you are doing.

I use food. For me that means warm chicken thighs (the meat only no bone). Food builds trust in my opinion pretty quickly. Talk to them softly, be confident around them, act normal. I believe cats take on our emotions so the more calm, confident and normal we act I feel they take that on. So between the food and acting confidently I have had nice success. But it does take time. I had a feral that warmed up in minutes others have taken weeks. Depends on how feral they are (how old).

Good luck, I am sure you will do a great job.