Acclimating My Cat To Our New Home

Emae1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a serious boyfriend and I am trying to acclimate my year old cat to his house. I currently live in an apartment with a roommate and his dog. The dog and cat get along famously. Henry (the cat) does fine during the day and most of the night at the boyfriends house, but between 3-5 am, he starts meowing incessantly. I’ve tried everything I can think of, food, food placement, litter box placement, toys, etc. I’m afraid he has become so attached to the dog that he is miserable when away from him. I only bring him to the new place a couple night of the week. Is that the problem? Is it because he knows when he meows that I will get up and bring him home? That will only happen for so long before he lives at the new place full time and without the dog. I am desperate for answers. This is causing a strain on not only my relationship but I’m afraid I am stressing Henry out too, with the unknown. Thank you in advance!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I only bring him to the new place a couple night of the week. Is that the problem? Is it because he knows when he meows that I will get up and bring him home?
You have probably hit the nail on the head with that observation. Cats are all about their territory. In the long run, it might be less stressful to your kitty to keep him at home until it is time to make the move. That way, he won't be confused about where he belongs. Once he's been at his new home for awhile, and his smell is saturating everything, and he knows "THIS is my home now," I think things will settle down again. It will take a little time, and how much varies from cat to cat. Here are some articles to make the move easier:

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home (some of these cross over. Old cat/new home, new cat/old home are very alike from the cat's point of view)

He may well miss his doggy friend. Be sure to give him lots of attention, and toys to enrich his new environment. A cat tree might go a long way to making him feel at home again.