Accidentally cut the quick and how to get her to let me cut them easily

padfootandmoony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, this is my first post so if I have done anything incorrectly please let me know :)

My little girl Hazel was adopted almost 3 weeks ago and we trimmed her front paws the first week by just petting her and letting her calm down and eventually we got a few done and then an hour later another couple. I did one paw and my boyfriend the other. Then I took her to the vet and just had them do her back paws cause why not.

So long story short we decided to just do the nails again this week ourselves. My boyfriend decided to get started while I was at work and accidentally cut two of her quicks (I wasn't there, no idea how he managed this without noticing) but he didn't notice. I went to do some of her claws tonight when I noticed that two of them were cut pretty far down and had some blood on them.

I am under the impression that this shouldn't be too big of a problem for her to grow them back out without getting infected? I was hoping I could get some tips on making sure she is okay?

She is acting normally but she is now not happy with me trying to touch ANY of her paws and I don't want to have to pay for her to be clipped because it's a lot of stress on her to go to the vet (hates the car).

My boyfriend is very upset with himself as he can't believe he didn't notice and hated being the one who hurt her. She is very attached to me and not so much to him (will lay on me and such while not giving him much attention at all) and he is very worried that she will now hate him. Any suggestions for getting her to love him?

Thank you in advance guys... 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

padfootandmoony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I mean I have heard the towel thing, the scruffing thing, the kitty calmers, and the kitty bag type thing and the sleeping thing (not gonna work for this one). And I am willing to try these things but I have to figure out a way to do it without her hating my SO 

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would honestly leave her nails and paws for now. Let her settle down, but I would keep an eye on the ones cut too short, in case they become infected.

The next time you try to do the nails, I would suggest having some treats on hand! I would offer a treat before the clipping, during, then after! This works with my cat, as she really doesn't like having anyone touching her paws....but if there are treats involved, she'll be civil for anything :lol3:

Your BF can offer a few treats now, to regain any trust that might have been lost. Best of luck!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

padfootandmoony

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the reply :) We are planning on leaving her paws in general alone for at least a few days and keeping an eye on the ones that have been hurt. I am glad to hear it isn't necessarily a thing that will affect her health and since she was recently on antibiotics I do have a feeling it will be fine. I also keep her litter very clean so. 

We JUST found treats she likes so hopefully this will help :)