Abyssinian, oriental or Australian Mist?

marceline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my beautiful new rescue cat Marceline (Marcy)!

She is just under 6 months old and petite (only about 2kgs / 4.4lbs). The vet seemed to think she would be very much on the small side when fully grown.

Her papers said "oriental cross" but nobody can decide what her heritage might be. The only consensus reached is that she isn't a regular moggy. Various people have said she has a bit of oriental shorthair, Australian mist, Abyssinian, etc etc in her. She has silky smooth, downy fur, prominent facial markings, lots of ticking even in the dark parts of her tabby, and a super long tail. She is also quite long and short as opposed to square.

Personality wise, she is totally and utterly fearless, extremely active, follows me around like a puppy, loves to snuggle and ADORES being scratched on her cheeks. Does anyone have some thoughts on her pedigree?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That cat here is certainly a less usual appearance. Spotted tabby, tortie, with white, a calico of sorts.  Combined into a spotted patched tabby, I think it will be called as.

Everything nicely shaped and wrapped up into a nice posture.   :)   Im in fact not so little jealous!

But what breed look alike??    Abys arent usally spotted nor are they torties.  Australian Mist ancestry?  That breed is rare, and we may be sure, ALL exemplares sold as pets are thoroughly spayed neutered.  Also, they arent thrashing around with their studs.  Exactly because they are rare.  Unless you do live in Australia - they are surely rare there too, but not THAT rare.

Orientals are usually solid colored, but other colors are in fact allowed.   So, if somebody points a gun to my head and forces me to choose, I will pick the Oriental ancestry here, as the most probable.   Also, a solid oriental mated with say a spotted tabby with white, will get spotted tabby kittens with white, as both tabby and white spots are dominant genes.

Edit: some typos corrected.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

marceline

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks StefanZ! A detailed commentary :) I do indeed live in Australia :) I've never seen a Mist before though, I might add.

As far as I know, Marcy was found stray on the Gold Coast as an extremely young kitten. She was infested with worms and they wormed the heck out of her! She went home with a family once, but the existing pets didn't get on with her. She returned to the shelter, now with cat flu, and then straight into my arms!