Abandoned Pregnant Cat

Maliadeidre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My neighbors recently moved and left their pregnant cat behind:( While her owners occasionally let her inside, she has always been an outdoor cat. She is very familiar with me and my sister as we have been feeding her and giving her love everyday. I believe she is going into the first stages of labor and want to make sure she is safe from the neighborhood kids who like to bother her. That, and the crazy heat we've been experiencing! I've brought her inside and have her in the bathroom where she will be undisturbed with rags for her to nest, food and water, and a litter box. She has been meowing non stop. I don't want to stress her out by having her in an unfamiliar place but I'm also worried about her and the kittens well being if left outside. Should I let her back outside and let her have them where she wants to? And if I do that, should I bring her and the kittens back inside afterwards so they are safe? Or will she eventually calm down if I keep her locked in the bathroom? I really don't want to cause her any unnecessary stress during labor. Any advice would be appreciated!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not let her back outside ! It's too dangerous . I think its so disgraceful people just leaving pets behind when they move; however that's my opinion ! Thank you for taking her in and she should settle soon especially as she will soon work out you are helping her . Do you have any idea how far along she may be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maliadeidre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay thank you! I was just worried the stress of being in a new environment might cause complications during labor. It really is a shame when people just leave their animals behind, makes me sick. I think she's experiencing the first stages of labor.. I was outside with her this morning and saw a ton of movement in her belly, her breathing seems to be pretty rapid, and she hasn't been interested in food the past two days. I also gently squeezed one of her nipples to see if she had begun lactating. A tiny drop did come out. Once I read that those are all signs of early labor i brought her inside. This is her 8th litter because her owners weren't taking care of her. So after these kittens are weaned I will be taking her in to get spayed and bringing the kittens to a local shelter to be fixed and adopted out. I don't like the idea of a shelter but I volunteer at one and know first hand that kittens never have a problem being adopted out.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes I agree daisyd she should not be let outside. She's just nervous and scared being in a new place along with already being pregnant. Thank you for taking her in, she should settle.down soon if you let her back out the heat is not good and her chance of having a healthy pregnancy will decrease dramatically and the kittens will not likely survive. She's in the right place weather she thinks so or not she will get use to it. I don't understand how anyone could just leave behind a poor baby like that. It makes me sad.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've done the right thing by bringing her in. She may be meowing in pain and/or because she wants you with her. Try to sit with her as much as possible. It does sound like she is close!

Maliadeidre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I agree daisyd she should not be let outside. She's just nervous and scared being in a new place along with already being pregnant. Thank you for taking her in, she should settle.down soon if you let her back out the heat is not good and her chance of having a healthy pregnancy will decrease dramatically and the kittens will not likely survive. She's in the right place weather she thinks so or not she will get use to it. I don't understand how anyone could just leave behind a poor baby like that. It makes me sad.
Okay thank you so much for the reassurance! Wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong by forcing her to be inside!

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I am glad you took her in. the best place for her and the kittens are indoors.

Maliadeidre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You've done the right thing by bringing her in. She may be meowing in pain and/or because she wants you with her. Try to sit with her as much as possible. It does sound like she is close!
I was sitting in there with her for a while and she seemed a lot calmer with me there. She was rubbing up against me and letting me pet her but then she bit me pretty hard so I figured I would give her space. Went back in there a few minutes ago and the same thing happened but this time she made me bleed. Just going to leave her alone for a while! I highly doubt she's up to date on shots and being an outdoor cat I really want to be careful about her scratching/biting me.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, clean the bite marks with soap and water. It sounds like she is too agitated to be petted right now.

Maliadeidre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, clean the bite marks with soap and water. It sounds like she is too agitated to be petted right now.
Thank you. I cleaned with hydrogen peroxide and put some neosporin on it.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not impossible her biting is together with contractions... When it hurts down there, it helps much to bite something...

Maliadeidre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not impossible her biting is together with contractions... When it hurts down there, it helps much to bite something...
Oh that makes sense then because she's never been aggressive with me. Hope she's able to relax soon. I will keep updated and post when she's had the kittens! Thank you everyone!

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You'll want to keep her in when she's had them which may be difficult as she could start howling for a mate and try to break out before the kittens are weaned. Whilst Poppy didn't mind being kept in (she was also a pregnant stray) she used to sit at the window crying before we got her done. Good luck :)

Maliadeidre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You'll want to keep her in when she's had them which may be difficult as she could start howling for a mate and try to break out before the kittens are weaned. Whilst Poppy didn't mind being kept in (she was also a pregnant stray) she used to sit at the window crying before we got her done. Good luck :)
I will definitely be keeping both her and the kittens inside until weaned. Then I will be getting her spayed and bringing the kittens into a shelter to be fixed and adopted out! She's not going to be happy about it but she will have to be confined to the bathroom since I have other cats roaming around the house.

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our cats all lived in our little living room whilst we were out when we were at our old house and managed ok. Not ideal but you make it work when you know it's not forever :)

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also no less than her being kept in a kennel at a shelter!

Maliadeidre

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cats all lived in our little living room whilst we were out when we were at our old house and managed ok. Not ideal but you make it work when you know it's not forever :)
My only concern with letting her be around my cats is that she's been an outdoor cat and considering her owners abandoned her I can only assume she hasn't been vaccinated. so I want to keep her away from them until the kittens are weaned and I'm able to take her to get spayed, vaccinated, and tested for any diseases.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring for her! I am so glad you were able to bring her inside!