abandoned kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been eating a LOT today. We put some pedialyte in his formula because of a bit of diarrhea and it seems to have increased his appetite even more. Worse of all for the bab i think he's beginning to teeth just a little. He's so strong and has such will to live, though.

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
day 8 update:

still a bit of blood in urine but vet will open tomorrow, he's pooping on his own a bit now! and he is DEFINITELY teething. the only real issue seems to be the urinating, his genitals are swollen and peeing seems to hurt him, but his poo is at long last the right consistency and he's almost 7oz now. He's eating very well too.

his second eye is slowly opening, it's about 60% open now, and with some black tea treatment the milkiness in it is completely gone. He's also starting to walk around a bit without falling over. :hearthrob:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
For sore genitals use coconut oil, or at this little age you can apply A&D ointment since he is too young to lick himself. Once older, oil is best because it is non-toxic.

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For sore genitals use coconut oil, or at this little age you can apply A&D ointment since he is too young to lick himself. Once older, oil is best because it is non-toxic.
Thank you that's very helpful! I will do that tonight. We're going to the vet in the morning!

I tried to insert media for my video of him but it isn't working... so I'll just link it!

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
vet went well, they were out of the antibiotics and sent an RX to walmart phramacy for us, who are trying to charge me 160$ for clavamox suspension. obviously i cannot afford that, so the vet is going to be calling me back soon with other options in the area.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
trying to charge me 160$ for clavamox suspension. obviously i cannot afford that, so the vet is going to be calling me back soon with other options in the area.
Human pharmacies, at least around me, charge the regular prescription rate. :(

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
his antibiotics (clavamox) are giving him VERY intense diarrhea, we've been supplementing with pedialyte but it's just very itnense. are there any safe probiotic options for a 3 week old baby for when he finishes his treatment?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Get Forti Flora and sprinkle grains into his milk. This is the one that vets recommend. Also keep his bottom clean and oiled.

What is his dosage?

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get Forti Flora and sprinkle grains into his milk. This is the one that vets recommend. Also keep his bottom clean and oiled.

What is his dosage?
he is on 0.45 ml of clavamox two times a day, and was about 9.2oz yesterday. Forti Flora is a bit expensive for me considering it's just for one small cat, would this alternative work?

cat probiotic

Seymour

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is just a thought, but if you receive another pricey prescription, consider trying GoodRX to fill it. It's saved me a lot of money in the past and I can't see why you wouldn't be able to fill something like Clavamox through them.

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is just a thought, but if you receive another pricey prescription, consider trying GoodRX to fill it. It's saved me a lot of money in the past and I can't see why you wouldn't be able to fill something like Clavamox through them.
walmart did offer a goodrx coupon but it was still going to be over 70 dollars for less than a tablespoon of medicine, which is still soooooo scammy, but i will def keep this in mind for other drugs

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
he is on 0.45 ml of clavamox two times a day, and was about 9.2oz yesterday. Forti Flora is a bit expensive for me considering it's just for one small cat, would this alternative work?

cat probiotic
The big advantage with fortiflora is it tends to give extra appetite, its tasty... Otherwise, probably many other probiotics are as good.
this you show is surely OK.
Or even, try with some kefir or mild youghurt. If you find youghurt with added several other probiotic bacteria - its even better.
This is the cheapest try for probiotic. :)

ps. Fortiflora is in powder, to sprinkle over the food, or mix in kmr. I wonder if yours is in tablettes??

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we are 4 weeks old now!!!!!! and almost exactly 16oz. He has a bit of a hard time walking around without losing his balance but he is driven to explore a lot now. I know it's getting close to time to think about weaning him, can anyone offer advice on how to wean a bottle baby? he's pretty stuck on his nipple right now, and is a bit underdeveloped for his age I think, but he's healthy as a horse and peeing in the littler box on his own now

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
two questions~

one) his poop is a perfect soft toothpaste and he goes on his own in the litter but he does often fuss when going. his rectum is very raw, so i've taken to using coconut oil on it, but any thoughts beyond the obvious? no signs of parasites.

two) we're about 6 days into the gruel of formula + canned kitten food mix, but he is very uninterested in eating from a bowl/not his bottle. i've tried all kinds of methods but he refuses to take to it. any advice?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That means he is not quite ready, so just be patient. He’ll get there eventually.