Abandoned kitten

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My wife and I found an abandoned kitten on our doorstep two days ago. She's not a stray, she was in a cat carrier, but there was no note or anything. We have no idea who left her here though obviously it was someone who knows or has heard we are cat lovers (we have 7 total now, including her). We weren't exactly looking for another cat as we recently go a puppy, but we had to take her in since we're in Phoenix and it's been over 110 consistently. She is a very pretty little thing, but extremely skinny! My wife estimates she's about 6 months old based on her frame size, but she weighs less than our 4 month old kitten! The biggest problem is we can't get her to eat anything! We had a spare empty bedroom so we put a bowl of food and water on one side and a litter box in the other. We also added her carrier with a warm shirt in the bottom, a cat condo, a 3 toys. At night we shut the door to the room so the others cats don't pick on her, but during the day we've been leaving the door open so she can come out and explore if she wants. The dog can't get back to the bedroom and the other cats rarely, if ever, go back there as well. She still won't eat though! When ever my wife or I go near her she runs up to us and rubs against us while meowing and hissing. She hisses at EVERYTHING!
We can't really afford to keep another kitten, but all the no kill shelters aren't accepting any more cats right now. So I'm looking for advice. First, suggestions on how to get this cat to eat. Second, what to do about her.
Thanks!

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
what state are you located in?

As far eating I have had alot of luck with hill's A/D You can get that at your vets office. I mix it with liquid kmr to make it alittle softer. Hopefully the cat will eat it. if they don't you will need to force feed it. The vet can give you a feeding syringe or you can pick one up at places like petsmart. Good luck!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This little one needs a vet. I would suggest you start calling around to vets and telling them what is going on. She was possibly placed there because she is so ill and the owners were jerks and didn't know what to do. (sorry but they were) Try to find a vet that has a sympathetic ear and surrender the cat over to the clinic for them to treat and re-home. Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We're in Phoenix Arizona. Unfortunately we're extremely low on moeny right now and can't afford to take her to a vet, part of why we can't afford another kitty right now. A friend of ours tried to surrender a stray kitten over to a vet before and couldn't find any that would take him. All the vets we found when she was trying said that she would have to pay for the vet visit and then foster the cat while they tried to find a home. We can't do that because of money (I don't get paid again until Friday and until then we have $10 only).
Someone just suggested to us that we take some of the kitten food we have, crush it so it's smaller and then mix that with a tiny bit of milk or cream and see if that would work. Does that sound right?

princess purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO! don't give the kitten milk. Most cats can't handle milk and it will make them sick. You need catsip, or whiskers cat milk, or KMR. KMR would be best. But kitty really really needs to get to a vet. I just had a 6 month old cat go in to liver failuer because it wasn't eating. My hubby found her at work and we only had her for two weeks. Call around. Some vet has to be willing ot help.

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, no milk or cream. I thought something seemed wrong about that suggestion. I'm calling different vets and shelters now, but so far no luck. Everybody wants money that we don't have.

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any no kill shelters in Tucson? Maybe if one of them has room for her I could meet you midway between Tucson and Phoenix and take her to the shelter.

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, we hadn't tried Tucson. I will call places down there right now.

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me know what you find out. The Hermitage is a great no kill shelter in Tucson.

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding her right now? I would give her canned and dry kitten food. Maybe make a game of it like tossing a kibble for her to chase and eat? Some times this works to get some extra calories into them, some kitties prefer to be handed each bite and encouraged while they eat. You can try and see if she just needs extra attention. Also check her mouth for sores or leisons, it could be too painful to eat dry food. Just my two cents.
This link is also helpful!Click me!

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just called them and F.A.I.R. and neither place can take her. Hermitage is over stocked and FAIR doesn't accept from the public. I'm getting really fed up.

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've tried dry kitten food and moist food. She won't eat anything. I've tried hand feeding her and she looks at the food, but won't touch it. She also isn't interested in chasing anything. I looked in her mouth quickly yesterday because I was afraid she might have sores (that's how my first cat died when I was a kid), but didn't see anything. It was only a brief look because she was NOT happy about me looking in there at all. I'm going to try again today.

uabassoon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'll cross post this to another forum that I'm on. There are a few people from AZ that are into rescues so maybe they can help out. I'll let you know if anyone can help.

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I appreciate it a lot. We really want this cute little girl to have a home and the care she needs.

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've left messages at at least 6 different shelters. They all say they're not accepting cats, but I'm hoping someone will be able to point me where I should go. I'm really worried about the fact that she won't eat. If I have to I'll try force feeding her later when my wife gets home so she can hold her.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you may have to force-feed her. Try using a syringe (without the needle, of course) and some KMR and gently squirt a little at a time into the side of her mouth. You'll have to do this several times a day. If you're lucky, she'll come to like the taste and might lap some from a bowl as she gets used to it. You can also use some watered down, vitamised kitten wet food in the syringe. Also, she may be dehydrated.

Is there any way you can afford to take her to the vet now? Is there a vet near you that will hold off on the payment until you get paid? Also there are some good ideas for whe you're desperate here.

Good luck with her.

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately we have only $10 until Friday and that has to go into gas to get to work and back. Our bills this month were EXTRA high and really strapped us bad! We don't have credit cards, and neither of us have good enough credit to get a loan (we tried a couple months ago to help finance a wedding). Our friends are all begging for money too, and our families are all out of state and won't help. Believe me, we've tried. I've called at least 15 different vets and they all say you HAVE to pay at the time of ths visit. Everyone claims to care about the animals, but what it really boils down to is money.

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have now called every shelter whose phone number I can find, and I've heard back from the ones that I left messages at. Not a single one can take her or help. I've called all the vets I can find in my area and none of them are willing to help either.
Seems that no one wants to do anything to help "just another cat" unless there's something in it for them.
I'm getting completely sick of this.

kumbulu

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are an angel for trying so hard for this little kitten. Have you been able to feed her? I think that and also giving her water are the the most important thing at the moment. If you're able to, feed her some pedialyte or gastrolyte, mixed as per the directions, as this will help with the dehydration if she's not drinking and give her some of the vital salts she needs. I know money is tight, but if you can get a tube of Nutrical from a nearby vet, this will help as it's full of nutrients and will stimulate her appetite and may just keep her going until she sees a vet.

Hang in there, I know how frustrating it can be.

rmfjovi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately we can't buy ANYTHING right now. Money isn't just tight, it's nonexsistant. All we have (for 2 people) is $10 and we need gas so we can get to work this week too. So unfortunately we're stuck with finding stuff we have in the house. I haven't been able to feed or water her yet. When I try she claws me, bad, and I can't get her still enough to wrap in a towel. I'll have to wait until I have help.
Thanks. I'm sorry if I sound angry, but well, I am. Everyone I've talked to today on the phone agrees she needs to be seen by a vet, but no one knows of one that will wait for payment, and no one is willing to help. Oh they all give their good wishes, but good wishes won't keep this little girl alive.