Abandoned Kitten Suckling... I Think!

LollyLuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So i live in Barcelona and i found a small kitten about a month ago, vet has aged her at about 7 months and said she had been on the street for at least 5 months. From what i can tell she wasn't with mom the entire time She has no hunting instict, struggles to groom herself and from what i csn see she has no social skills... She likes to be close when i fuss her and sits on my chest and constantly wants to be licking my nose and headbutts, like she can't get close enough. She also holds the blanket in her mouth while she padding and clawing, I've added a video so you can see.

Can anyone recommend how i can help her? With food and bringing her up? I've had rescue cats before but they have been older. I just want her to be happy and healthy

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Try giving her a ticking clock alongside her bed/nest. Her circumstances are such that having a simulated beating heart (along with yours :)) could be helpful.
Some classical harp music may also help.

The Essentials Of Kitten Nutrition

I realize your kitten is weaned, but this article includes some tips that could still be helpful;
Weaning: How To Get Your Kittens To Eat On Their Own

If your kitten is underweight, you may want to utilize kitten food for the higher protein, but All Life Stages foods can work as well.
What Makes The Best Canned Cat Food?

Your kitten will need to eat as much as it can. 3-5 small meals a day (if there's a small amount left on the plate you'll know she's eaten as much as she can) and some kibble for overnight, until she's older than a year or a year and a half.
How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat?

Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake

18 Awesome Cat Feeding Tips By Thecatsite Staff Members

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LollyLuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Lovely thank you. I was going to make her chicken and rice dinners anway (good diet for older cats so figured it would work to fatten her up too!)

She doesn't nest, she either sleeps on the dining room chair hidden under the edge of table cloth or on my chest. She's just so delicate!

LollyLuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have, we found her on a full moon so we have called her Luna.

I'll add a few photos to the thread soon :)

LollyLuna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the day off today so thought we would try foods!

I have gone through all different brands (and 5 flavours!) of cat food, we have tried cooked chicken, pork and beef, raw chicken, pork and beef,a multitude of seafood, plain boiled rice and I've also tried packet ham! She will not touch any of it! She seems happy with her kibble but i know its not enough for her. . Any ideas? She does however like carrots, leeks and potato apparently

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
Take a look, I don't know what all you might have access to. There will be duplicates, it sounds like since you've tried a number of things already;

Sit with your cat and scoop some food on your finger or a spoon and hopefully your kitty will lick it. Or gently tuck some food inside the cheek.

(You might want to double-check with your vet just to be sure these things below are ok for your kitty).

Try some raw egg yolk. Egg white must always be cooked, and some people cook the white and make a slurry of sorts by adding in the raw yolk.

Also you could try some Nutri-cal or similar product.

Try making the Pedialyte here;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

These can be used on their own or combined with food. Also, as mentioned if you heat the food a little - stir it so there aren't any hot spots from the microwave.

Or you could heat some water, about a tablespoon, and add that to canned food. A small glass works to stir it all up.
  • Chicken, beef or ham flavored (pureed) baby food such as Gerber Stage 2 - make sure there is no garlic or onions in the ingredients
  • Tuna and/or the juice, a low mercury/low/no sodium brand is called SafeCatch
  • Salmon, mackerel
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • canned kitten food any brand
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer - there are recipes on the internet or store bought
  • Fish, tuna or BBQ flavored canned wet food (I personally have never seen BBQ flavors, but...)
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat 'gravy' poured over the food
  • kitten glop (recipes in website link above)
  • Bonito flakes
  • fortiflora
  • fish oil
  • green beans, asparagus mushed up
  • goat milk, or no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (the white must always be cooked) or raw egg yolk now and then
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind
  • There are also commercial toppers, Applaws is a brand that can work well as a topper
  • Some good treats would be freeze dried Purebites, Orijen, Meowtinis, Meowables, Only Natural Pet, Primal
  • There are also Lickimats that you could spread types of soft food onto, even plain unflavored yogurt, and even freeze it. Licking something can help a cat to feel better emotionally The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats
  • shredded cheddar cheese