Abandoned Cats Taken In One Appears Imminently About To Have Kittens - All Advice Greatly Appreciate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiggy is really restless now, pacing about from place to place, just flopping down on the floor here and there, she’s now been into two of the boxes but prefers the one pictured. (Which is on our dining room table as that’s her favourite place to sleep - on the end in the sunshine) She’s not really settling down to have a nap where ever she goes either. She hasn’t even scamped boy cat when she’s had the chance and she normally jumps on him when he’s asleep or initiates a play fight.... She’s keeps going to the litter box but I can’t really see that there is very much wee. She seems a bit subdued also.
God help my kids when they have children of their own if I’m like this with a Kitty... lol. x

My 11 year old daughter (Evie) who is her favourite person really wants to be there for the birth. She’s been watching cat Birthing videos with me and has helped me get everything prepared for her so I trust she will be calm and quiet. My only worry is if their are any still borns or any die.....

Sorry for all of my super long messages and pics.. x x x

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's beautiful! It does sound like she's nesting, trying out different boxes. She may be in early labor, too, if she feels like she needs to pee all the time. It's going to be fine - I never had to do anything for my queen, and she had 36 kittens in total.

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw thanks, she is gorgeous isn’t she but I am slightly biased. You’re all being so lovely and reassuring so thank you very much for that. X x x

I have spoken to all of the children about the possibility of still born kits and that sometimes they can die during the birthing process and afterwards so I hope even though they will be upset if this happens ive prepared them as much as I can.

Well, still no kits.... she was restless during the night but today appears her normal self.

She did have a bout of diarrhoea late last night??? Is that normal pre birth? No changes to food etc.

I really thought she was on her way last night. Was wondering whether I should take her to the vet tomorrow for a check so we can get an idea of how old she is and how far along she is but am really conscious that it will stress her out and I don’t want to upset her unnecessarily especially as essentially she is still settling into our home so that is perhaps not the best idea.

Do you think I’m worrying too much?

The little peach is fast asleep snuggled up on the heat pad at the moment.

Boy cat is being really lovely around her too, no hissing or batting her and he keeps giving her kit bits a good sniffing, lol.

X X x x x

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some boy cats make wonderful uncles and help with the washing, the watching and the cuddling. It makes the whole experience of raising kittens less stressful and less exhausting for the mother. It also gives an extra pair of eyes and paws to keep the kits safe.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely sounds as if things are progressing, sounds like labour may be close. she's probably waiting for Thanksgiving!
It may be learning experience for your daughter to be exposed to the possibility of loss in her life, she is at the age I was when I opened a backyard 'animal hospital' for many different animals that I found hurt or needing help. Experiencing loss helps you to appreciate life and health even more, and causes the development of empathy with animals. You really can't experience the full joy and happiness that life can bring without experiencing loss. I still am a champion for animals over 50 years later and have never regretted a single moment of it.

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some boy cats make wonderful uncles and help with the washing, the watching and the cuddling. It makes the whole experience of raising kittens less stressful and less exhausting for the mother. It also gives an extra pair of eyes and paws to keep the kits safe.
I didn’t know that about boy cats or what you mentioned before about them looking after females/queens and kits.
I was planning on keeping Tiggy and kits separate from Pops as I was worried he might be aggressive toward them, especially as he hasn’t been here very long. I’ve ordered another heat pad for him as he is loving the one I got for Tigs and the kits. He doesn’t look skinny but he is a super fluffy black and white sweetie pie, he has definitely put on weight but still feels quite bony, so is probably feeling the cold even though our house is warm and I would assume enjoying being toasty after being abandoned and out in the cold.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
male cats are like male humans. some make good fathers and uncles, some don't. If your boy is fixed you've got a better chance of him being nice. I've read stories of the males, unfixed, in feral colonies helping take care of kittens, sometimes their kittens some times not.

I'd err on the side of caution as you are and keep them separate until mom cat says okay.

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Definitely sounds as if things are progressing, sounds like labour may be close. she's probably waiting for Thanksgiving!
It may be learning experience for your daughter to be exposed to the possibility of loss in her life, she is at the age I was when I opened a backyard 'animal hospital' for many different animals that I found hurt or needing help. Experiencing loss helps you to appreciate life and health even more, and causes the development of empathy with animals. You really can't experience the full joy and happiness that life can bring without experiencing loss. I still am a champion for animals over 50 years later and have never regretted a single moment of it.
What lovely words, thank you so much. x

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Make SURE the male has "been done". If he hasn't been to the vet yet this would be a good opportunity. Female cats can get pregnant again very soon after giving birth and you don't want that kind of surprise!

Sounds like you've prepared enough. I hope eve4ything goes well!
Thanks Willowy,
He has definitely been done/fixed...
My friend who has lots of cats checked him for me as I wasn’t sure, hence why we thought he was a she and got called Poppy by my children.

Thank you for your well wishes... x x x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Males usually enjoy kittens, I have huge battle scarred feral toms lay down and let kittens bite them and crawl all over them. but you don't know how YOUR male will react. He most likely will be OK, just monitor how he reacts to the kittens. Mamas become very protective too, and NOONE wants to mess with a mama protecting her babies!

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still on “Kitten Watch” :runaround:

I think I’ve turned into a crazy cat lady. I’ve barely slept the past three nights waking up and checking she’s okay and not silently having them. Tiggy looks tired and fed up too, poor little peach.

Yesterday she was laid on the end on the sofa where I was sat and her tummy looked like the kits were practicing kung fu in there for quite a long time, it was crazy to watch. I’ve been seeing and feeling them move in her for quite a while but nothing like that. then she suddenly stood up, started breathing really fast, eyes wide and her nostrils were really flaring... (haven’t noticed her do the last part before)
So I thought oooh here we go, she was super restless for a good few hours annnnd then nothing. She then settled down and slept only moving a few times during the night.

I literally spent the whole day watching cat birthing videos and reading articles about cats, cat labour, cat behaviour, kittens, etc, etc. I think my hubby thinks I’ve lost the plot, :flail:

I originally said when we realised she was pregnant that they would be born on my husbands birthday, which is on Saturday -
I think I’ll be a sleep deprived wreck if it goes on that long.

I am loving having them both around though, I work from home and find myself chatting away to them, getting distracted and just sitting and stroking them - it’s really soothed My anxiety also and my husband says he can see a really big change in me. I feel so lucky that they finally chose us to trust and jumped in through the window. Poppy has even stopped hiding under blankets and duvets now too so he must be feeling better. :hearthrob: As you can probably tell I totally love these little scamps and am so thankful for what they have brought to our family. :clapcat::dizzycat:

Well, I’ll post again when Some thing happens or I get super paranoid about something again... :hellocomputer:

Thanks again y’all for being so lovely. :rbheart:

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Males usually enjoy kittens, I have huge battle scarred feral toms lay down and let kittens bite them and crawl all over them. but you don't know how YOUR male will react. He most likely will be OK, just monitor how he reacts to the kittens. Mamas become very protective too, and NOONE wants to mess with a mama protecting her babies!
Aaaw that must be so cute to watch....
I think he must sense she is close as he is letting her snuggle up next to him but then she has also stopped being a little rascal towards him the last week so he’s probably quite pleased about that, lol... x x x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hate to tell you but right before birth the kittens will 'drop' and line up to go into the birth canal. That usually means a near stop to all kitten activity inside. so that means you most likely have a ways to go.... I remember on my last pregnant one she was so huge and uncomfortable I felt so sorry for her, I honestly didn't think she would EVER give birth. She went a full two weeks past the time I thought she had, it was nerve wracking! BTW, she ended up having 7, just two and a half months after her first litter! First litters are usually just around three. One almost certain way to tell birthing is near is the almost constant licking, you'll see a small amount of bloody discharge.

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:doh: Oh noooooo.... Awwww bless her she is so little with such a huge belly that is really hard surely she can’t get much bigger?!? She doesn’t appear able to reach to clean her kit bits either, is that normal?

I read on a breeders blog that they knew their mama cat was going to have kits within 24 hours when they saw huge amounts of movement - Perhaps it was just breed specific. Or their cat specific. I should really stop reading stuff shouldn’t I, lol...

I may also lose my marbles if one of the kids asks me one more time what colour they aren’t going to be! Aaaargh....

Poor little Tiggy though, I’m so anxious for her. x x x

Thanks again for your words of wisdom. X

ans5181

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
20180930_230444.jpg

This is what happens when mama thinks you are messing with her baby!!!