Abandoned Cat With Some Behavior Issues

guitarfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a stray, probably abandoned cat living under my back deck. We’re calling him “Jack” for now. I started seeing him a few weeks ago in the woods around our house, and about 10 days ago he was on the edge of our yard one evening crying for food. My wife and I have been cat lovers for 30+ years, so when it was evident this guy was in need of help, we gave it. Within just a few nights of feeding him I was able to sit on the ground about 8 feet away while he ate, and then coax him over. He was skittish at first but it didn’t take long for him to come over and rub his head all over my hands, and plop down on the ground and roll around.

I’m guessing he’s 2-3 years old, a male tabby, not neutered. He’s quite long & lanky, he'll be a big cat when he fills out. Nice white teeth, no obvious health issues or injuries. He eats a full can of Friskies every morning and evening, good appetite. I’m certain he was someone’s pet. I was able to carefully put a flea collar on him one night while he ate, he didn’t even seem to notice. He also tries to come in the house when we go in, so I’m pretty sure that was something he was used to.

Now there is one issue with him, and that is his tendency to hiss & swat. It seems to me like he is starved for attention, he just can’t get enough. I am only able to spend 10-15 minutes a day talking to him and petting him while he rubs all around me. The problem is when I get up to leave, that’s when he’ll swat. He doesn’t want me to leave, and the swat is his way of showing his displeasure. I also have to be careful when he’s rolling around, one time he flipped and suddenly my hand was on his belly which some cats don’t like, and he took a swat at me. This hissing usually happens when I’m bringing his food out, or picking the bowl up when he’s done. It’s like he wants the food instantly put down, not wanting me to walk the 10 feet to where I want to put it.

We are not going to be able to keep him, which is said, because I'm already attached. We have 2 indoor only females in a small house, these two tolerate each other, and each has some special needs. If we brought in a third cat, everyone’s lives would be turned on their ear. We are able to take care of Jack for now because the weather is mild, but once it starts turning colder here in the northeast, he’s going to need shelter. I’ve been all over the internet, first searching for anyone looking for him. Sadly, no one is looking for this cat. Another thing that makes me think he was dropped off. I’m trying to find a new home for him.

My question/concern is that I don’t want to give him to someone if he’s got serious behavioral problems. While I’ve had cats for over 30 years, it’s only been a total of 4 cats, so I don’t have broad experience. Every one of mine was different, of course. Some loved their belly rubbed, others hate it. My feelings about Jack are that if he were in a home, he would chill out a little bit, as opposed to being "on defense" when outside. But I think he needs to be trained to not swat. If he was in fact dumped by someone, that someone probably didn’t understand cats and was the cause of the problem. For example, you don’t “play” with a cat with your hand, you use a toy. Otherwise you’re training them to swat at hands. I’ve seen my share of people over the years who didn’t “get” cats and they made things worse instead of better.

To sum up, I don’t want to give someone a cat that will be a problem. I need to find someone mature enough, explain what Jack needs, and hope they have the patience & love to train him. I think this cat has so much potential.

So, I’m looking some insights on Jack’s behavior. Am I on the right track in my thinking? Any input and suggestions would be welcome!

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

guitarfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree! I can't believe anyone wouldn't want this guy for a pet.

bluebirdy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is there a local human society that fosters cats? Perhaps he could go with a foster for a short period to help with some training and introducing (probably reintroducing) to being inside and then be adopted out.

guitarfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The local HS is full. They will neuter him and give him shots for $50 (a bargain), but then he's mine again.

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Guitarfish, I do have to be honest with you. When I was first reading your post I thought you were talking about a cat that I put outside a few months ago.
He's considered as a brown mackerel tabby, name of Sparta. He has begun to his and swat even at me so I no longer allow him on the porch. In a way kind of hoping he'll find a new home soon but I do have to warn OTHER- SPARTA ABSOLUTELY REFUSES TO USE THE LITTER BOX NO MATTER WHAT LITTER BRAND IS USED AND HOW CLEAN IT IS. That's why I made him an outside cat.

guitarfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The box is a whole 'nuther issue. I have no idea if Jack was housebroken. We had a prior male cat who started spraying around the house & we ended up having to replace a carpet. We made him an in/outdoor cat as a last resort. Cat psychology is quite complex.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His behaviour sounds typical of a semi-feral cat to me. He should adjust to indoor living pretty well, given the time and patience that he needs. A semi feral barn cat I care for is pretty much the same, just a little more extreme! @shadowsrescue, @ondine and @red top rescue have more experience in this area than I do. Hopefully one of them will have some more ideas.

One answer, if you were up for it, would be to set up a safe room for him and bring him indoors yourself - not as a permanent addition, more as a foster cat. Work with him to tame him further (it sounds like you're doing a great job so far :thumbsup:) and then find him his forever home.

Another option would be to contact organisations that work with feral cats and ask for their help.

Good luck with Jack - he sounds like he'll make a wonderful pet for the right person :D
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference
10 Facts You Should Know About Feral Cats
9 Practical Ways For You To Help Feral Cats

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do him a favor and have him neutered. He is destined to have a life full of abscesses and fights if you don't. I've had an outside cat for ten years and he is fine. I provide him with an insulated dog house that has a heated mat in the winter. You might consider it. As for the hissing and swatting, it is from fear rather than from any anger. He's afraid you are leaving, and is trying to convince you to stay. At eating time and when you touched his belly that was from his heightened excitement and you were 'invading' his personal space. He's still not sure you are truly a friend. Cats take months to accept a new situation, some of them are quicker than others. The swatting and hissing will stop once he is more sure of himself. Any one that adopts him should know about this, but he really isn't any different than any other cat. Make sure they understand cats and know this is from excitement/fear and being unsure of himself in a different environment. As for the litterbox, almost all cats instinctively use one. They may have to start out with dirt, but I have had barn cats that have never seen one use them indoors. It is something that shouldn't be a problem. Set one out and see if he uses it. You might even mix in a little of your own cat's litter or try to get a 'sample' from him to put in it. He is definitely a stray, not a feral, a feral would just disappear when you were spotted and could actually attack if cornered. Bless you for helping him, I will pray you find him a forever home soon!

Last edited:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His behaviour sounds typical of a semi-feral cat to me. He should adjust to indoor living pretty well, given the time and patience that he needs. A semi feral barn cat I care for is pretty much the same, just a little more extreme! @shadowsrescue, @ondine and @red top rescue have more experience in this area than I do. Hopefully one of them will have some more ideas.

One answer, if you were up for it, would be to set up a safe room for him and bring him indoors yourself - not as a permanent addition, more as a foster cat. Work with him to tame him further (it sounds like you're doing a great job so far :thumbsup:) and then find him his forever home.

Another option would be to contact organisations that work with feral cats and ask for their help.

Good luck with Jack - he sounds like he'll make a wonderful pet for the right person :D

I agree 100%. Jack is more than likely only half feral, and I do not see his behavior as necessarily not normal under the circumstances. Yes, if you do adopt him, that swatting and hissing will need to stop, but once he is neutered and comes to know you and your family, more than likely that behavior will cease. With 2 female cats already, he will need to be neutered before introducing them to your other two. He was sent/came to you and your family for a reason. You know, I read a lot about instances such as yours where cats or kittens just miraculously appear at peoples' homes or the people come across the abandoned animal out about town. Either way, these people to whom these cats/kittens are drawn to are ALWAYS cat lovers themselves. I firmly believe these things don't just happen in our universe randomly, but by selection. You were chosen, now the ball is in your court. I say this because of an experience of mine I had last spring, I made the wrong decision and did not bring "Rudy" ( I even named the feral) into my home, just fed him on my porch. The reason being, I already had a cat and my landlord does not rent to pet owners, he made the exception with me, therefore I did not ask to adopt Rudy. To make a long story short, Rudy was hit by a car months later and I still am devastated about that and know in my heart that I did not even try to see if I could persuade them to allow me to adopt Rudy as well as Katy. I understand you want to see where this journey will take you and the weather is nice and warm now, but please be mindful, these creatures steal our hearts very quickly and then we're smitten!!;) If kept outside, they are at the mercy of nature and fate.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I think integrating will be just fine=the hard part-is the upset home BUT it can be done.

Look at it this way= feral cat colonies have tons of cats and they get along-so they must be doing something we cant.

1. NEUTER him.

That will absolutely calm him down. He's driven by hormones.
-make sure combo test for FELv and FIV. do this before the scent swap to make sure he isn't carrying anything that could harm your indoor girls.

2.Scent swapping after shots.
Get an old Tshirt you wore all day-put it outside where he lays down. Get him used to your scent. Also do the same for your indoor ccats. Have them smell him on a shirt and swap out every day or so.

The integration will take some time but it CAN be done.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The local HS is full. They will neuter him and give him shots for $50 (a bargain), but then he's mine again.
Having him neutered and vaccinated will make Jack more adoptable, even if you have to "do it yourself adoption", instead of the shelter finding him a home. It would also be an opportunity for the shelter to assess his level of adoptability and also see if he'll use a litter box while he's there. I would start there.

Worst case scenario, perhaps you can find a little outdoor cat house or small dog Igloo house on Craigslist, and set Jack up with some winter shelter.

I'm feeding one outdoor cat I took for TNR. I worry about her being outside and not living very long, but she spent 8 weeks at the shelter (had a litter of kittens right after I dropped her off), and they assessed her as "very wild, not adoptable, not even able to foster to socialize". She swatted and would bite. It does sound like Jack was someone's pet at some point, and he is not being aggressive out of fear and distrust of humans, so you are way ahead of the game.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
Swatting to get more attention is hardly a "major" behavior problem, unless we're talking needing stitches. Start advertising for a good home.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get him neutered and vaccinated by the humane society and see if they have a "waiting list" to bring him in for adoption. You could take care of him for a while if they will eventually take him in. Like the others, I think his behavior will change and he will make a fine pet for someone.

guitarfish

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everyone...I have GREAT NEWS !!!

I got a response from my Craigslist post yesterday, from a family asking if Jack was still available. A dad and his 2 teenaged kids, boy & girl around 16 & 17. They recently had to say goodbye to their cat of 18 years, and were looking for a new one. I talked with the dad and I got good vibes all around. He said they take good care of their pets and they usually live 15 years or more. I explained his behavioral issues, and they were unfazed, saying he just needs love, etc. The dad said he would never get rid of a pet, they are family. So I said OK!

As much as Jack has been affectionate, getting him into a container against his will wasn't going to be easy. At first I thought I could put him in a box, but the more I thought about it the more I realized I was only going to get one chance at this. So I borrowed a Hav-a-hart from a friend, and tonight when I got home from work I had Jack in the trap within minutes. YES! (Anticipating this, I had been putting his food inside of a box and getting him to go in to eat it for the last couple days).

Next, I drove 52 miles to deliver Jack to his new home. The home is in a nice area with fields & lots of land between houses. He'll be able to go inside and out. I took him inside and we released him. Obviously he was freaked out by the whole thing. (The 75 min ride down was almost non-stop bellowing).

Everything looked OK. We thanked each other and then I left. I no sooner drove out and started to cry. In just a short time I got so attached to him. Seeing him come out and greet me every morning and night, I will miss that so much. Well, 10 min after I left I got a text from the daughter, "He's loving us!" OK that made me lose it.

So there is a nice happy ending. Jack has a home, a warm place in winter, and as much as I'll miss him, I will feel good that he isn't lost and scared anymore.

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your help and great input. It was great to have this support. It was quite an experience, and I'm a little wiser for it.

Attachments

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so wonderful! I am very happy that this has such a good ending. But I understand your grief. You've lost a friend.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just fabulous news! Is that photo the "goodbye" photo from you or the "hello" photo from the new family? Either way, I couldn't be happier for Jack, and yes, you will miss him but you did the right thing. You can focus on your two wonderful kitties.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100%. Jack is more than likely only half feral, and I do not see his behavior as necessarily not normal under the circumstances. Yes, if you do adopt him, that swatting and hissing will need to stop, but once he is neutered and comes to know you and your family, more than likely that behavior will cease. With 2 female cats already, he will need to be neutered before introducing them to your other two. He was sent/came to you and your family for a reason. You know, I read a lot about instances such as yours where cats or kittens just miraculously appear at peoples' homes or the people come across the abandoned animal out about town. Either way, these people to whom these cats/kittens are drawn to are ALWAYS cat lovers themselves. I firmly believe these things don't just happen in our universe randomly, but by selection. You were chosen, now the ball is in your court. I say this because of an experience of mine I had last spring, I made the wrong decision and did not bring "Rudy" ( I even named the feral) into my home, just fed him on my porch. The reason being, I already had a cat and my landlord does not rent to pet owners, he made the exception with me, therefore I did not ask to adopt Rudy. To make a long story short, Rudy was hit by a car months later and I still am devastated about that and know in my heart that I did not even try to see if I could persuade them to allow me to adopt Rudy as well as Katy. I understand you want to see where this journey will take you and the weather is nice and warm now, but please be mindful, these creatures steal our hearts very quickly and then we're smitten!!;) If kept outside, they are at the mercy of nature and fate.
:alright::grouphug::grouphug2: