Aaarrrgggh!! Wet caramel sauce

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So I looked up some flan recipes, and they all looked moderately simple. Basically a custard, cooked in a water bath, with a simple caramel sauce.

So I gathered all the ingredients, pans, utensils, etc.,.

Started in on the caramel sauce… and it wouldn’t color up.
Okay, I thought, that’s what I get for trying to use a nonstick pan
So, I switched to a stainless steel. And it crystalized.
Tried again, cooked on low until sugar cooked to a clear syrup, turned up heat… got color, aaaaannnd crystalized.

Now I’m about to tear my hair out.

I look up different recipes to wrinkle out any tips or tricks.

I change pans again, I resist stirring, I carefully wash down crystals on the edges; as it turned golden, I notice crystals forming in the center and I nearly give up right there.
Dunno why, but I let it go a bit longer, it got to the color of a light tea and I took it off the heat. As the bubbles settled, I realized it was salvageable if I acted quickly.
As I pour it into the base of my baking pan I am holding my breath. There were a few little bubbles which I was able to carefully agitate out.
Whew! 😥

It took 2 1/2 hrs to get that done properly.
So, here I am at 1 am waiting to see if I got the actual custard right.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Water evaporates from the surface of the pot, making the sugar around the edges of the pan more saturated. When the sugar around the edges starts to crystallize it causes a chain reaction in the rest of the pot. If you keep the edges of the pan clean you'll have less chance to start the crystallization reaction.

Wipe a little bit of water around the edges of the pan to stop them evaporating as quickly.
Keep a lid on the pot, if you can, to stop water evaporating from the pot.
Start from a lower heat until the sugar has melted then turn up the heat. Less time at boiling means less evaporation.

Stirring more gently will also prevent crystals from forming in the first place. Fewer "seed" crystals forming means less chance of a chain reaction. Use a silicone spatula and occasionally clean the edges of the pot.

If you are a real chemistry geek, you'll know that acids can retard crystal formation. Cream of tartar is a form of acid. 1/8 tsp. should do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Water evaporates from the surface of the pot, making the sugar around the edges of the pan more saturated. When the sugar around the edges starts to crystallize it causes a chain reaction in the rest of the pot. If you keep the edges of the pan clean you'll have less chance to start the crystallization reaction.

Wipe a little bit of water around the edges of the pan to stop them evaporating as quickly.
Keep a lid on the pot, if you can, to stop water evaporating from the pot.
Start from a lower heat until the sugar has melted then turn up the heat. Less time at boiling means less evaporation.

Stirring more gently will also prevent crystals from forming in the first place. Fewer "seed" crystals forming means less chance of a chain reaction. Use a silicone spatula and occasionally clean the edges of the pot.

If you are a real chemistry geek, you'll know that acids can retard crystal formation. Cream of tartar is a form of acid. 1/8 tsp. should do.
yup
all those things
still couldn't get the hang of it

first batch, wrong pan; no color, ended up with soft ball candy (too low heat)
second batch, new pan; got a tiny bit of color, but crystalized around edges
third batch, started with low heat, stirred to dissolve sugar, raised heat, washed sides of pan religiously with basting brush, still crystalized
fourth batch, new pan with slightly sloped edges, did not stir, started with med high heat, washed sides down religiously, got color, but couldn't keep up with buildup on sides, saw crystals forming in the center, let it go a bit, quickly salvaged

each batch, except the last, took nearly 30 minutes (then clean up to start over)

all the recipes and instructions make this sound like it should be sooooo easy

NOT

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sometimes watch shows on the Food Network. I have seen them make caramel and yes they make it look so easy but I know it isn't as easy as they make it look.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Former spouse used to make caramel. She never acted like it hard to do but, at the same time, would get into a "Don't bug me, I'm trying to work, here" mode.

All the stuff I said, before came from back then. It's been quite a while, since.