A very sick little kitten :( - please help me

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

The toxic form of antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Propylene glycol is used in the enviro-friendly, non-toxic version. While I wouldn't want to feed it to a cat, which can be pretty sensitive to such things, it has been tested and is considered "generally non-toxic" in small doses.

It's in all sorts of places, including a lot of medicines that aren't water soluable. It's also in Angostura bitters...if you like margaritas!
PG is safe for humans... in fact, that is what I am vaping right now (as opposed of smoking
) - it is classified by the the FDA as safe, generally non-toxic and to be toxic you have to take very high doses (generally intravenous, usually by accident). Which is why it is a food additive, used for colorants and in a ton of medicines.
HOWEVER: It IS toxic for cats, and the FDA specifically prohibits its use in cats food due to the way cats metabolize PG. Nothing to do with the anti-freeze deal (this came from a news cast that created a big boo-hoo about PG).
So yes, even though for humans, dogs, and even rats it is deemed safe - it is officially regulated and deemed Toxic by the FDA for cats - Stay away from it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

So yes, even though for humans, dogs, and even rats it is deemed safe - it is officially regulated and deemed Toxic by the FDA for cats - Stay away from it.
Yes, cats' livers and kidneys can't take what ours can, so a number of things (such as onions) are toxic to them that won't bother us.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
eeeeeeeee!!!! He is soooo cute!! So little! I am so happy he pulled through.
He is going to be one gorgeous kitty when he grows.
Thanks for posting the updated pic...we love kitty pics!

jbsmomto1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I do Kitten rescue and in June got the teeniest baby (thats how he got his name, my daughter was terrified thinking that I had a mouse in a basket rather than a kitten) handed to me with symptoms very much like you describe. It took so much work, time, patience and love to get my mouse back on track but now he is recovered and in another foster home to be socialized. Nobody thought he would live. I am going to give you the link to the my blog, you will have to go back to the middle of June until August to read his story, his care, his meds and all the issues this little guy had. The fact that he is alive, thriving is amazing. Don't give up on your kitty. I can't say it will be easy but when you see the end result, it really is amazing and incredible. Mouse refused to die and I refused to even let him think about it, compared to the other rescues I had that were all the same age as Mouse it's incredible. I could go on an don but I will just post it and you can read it at your leisure, if for nothing else than maybe even for a little bit of encouragement. His admission date was mid June so as I said you will have to go back but its not that long, he kept me pretty busy. As far as meds go I found Chlor-plam to be the very best meds for him but eventually they stopped working and he was then given zithromax, it was a pain to mix up but what an amazing med it was.

http://zooinmyhouseohmy.blogspot.com/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stevie_rae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow that is such a wonderful story. i cannot believe how tiny he was. nox has beat his severe URI (yay) which i assume was the worst of his problems.
he has bad skin, vet had no idea what it was. but i recently came down with ringworm. so that solved that dilemma. he is on cream at the moment but i think it is a bit too strong for his skin, his ears are really flakey so much that they have blood scabs - so thinking of getting his meds changed for that.
he is also turning grey on his stomach (thinking from fever coat)

he is back to the vet tomorrow morning to get his second round of shots, also getting tested for FIV.
is it worth getting him tested for felV? i'm not too sure. it looks like he did come from a very dodgy place considering all that is wrong with the little guy.

i will post a reply when i return from the vet tomorrow!