A Very Pregnant Cat Adopted Me And Brought Me Her First Litter Of Kittens As Well.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! I agree that you may want to begin supplementing around your work hours for the first few days to give the kittens their best chance.

Have you weighed them yet? The kittens need to gain 6-10 grams each per day.

Is mom on antibiotics?

Did the vet give mom sub-q fluids for her dehydration?

Has mom eaten or had a dish of KMR yet?

Did the vet send her home with pain meds?

It's great you plan to keep her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor mom. She'll start feeling better in a day or two.

Go ahead and get a base weight on the kittens. You may want to try to get 1mL of formula into each one tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have now sadly lost two kittens. The vet had said that they were all in distress when they got them out, that they all had fecal matter in their sacs and that some of them were weaker than others. Feeding KMR to newborn kittens isn't easy, still trying and I am giving it to her as well. She is nursing and she's taking care of the other three. Mom is much better. Lots of sleeping and lots of nursing. She's eating and drinking, I haven't seen any poop in her litter box yet, she may be constipated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm sorry. I hope the other 3 pull through.

Are you using a tiny syringe, like a one mL size? It makes it easier to feed them.

Did the vet put the kittens on an antibiotic since they were exposed to fecal matter?

It's not unusual for mom not to poop for 2-3 days after having anesthesia.

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am, I'm sure it just takes some practice :)

I don't remember them mentioning it, nor do I see it on the bill. Which actually isn't unusual, my vet often doesn't bill me for stuff to help keep the bill down. I'm not sure if I mentioned how many other's we've taken in, all rescues, some still not quite tamed. They thank me all the time for "what I do". All I do is the right thing. The humane thing. :) Then the little devils steal my heart. Everyone seems fine this afternoon :)

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
..so we are at day 5 for one and day 4 for the other two. They weigh 2.88, 4.16 and 4.8 oz's. I weighed the one that weighs 4.16 twice because they moved when I was getting them! I can't tell them apart because they're all black. According to the chart I have.. at day 5 the average is 3-7 oz and by day 10 the average is 4.5 to 9.75 oz.

The little hobbits are eating again now, I'm not sure if this is third or fourth breakfast. We all seem to be doing well. No prolonged mewling.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are all in the range. Hopefully the runt will begin to put on more weight soon.

Nice job so far! :)

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it's all her. I'm just watching :) She's a good mom. I tell her all the time when I give her head scratches :) She's a good mommy.

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
today we are at 3.04, 5.28, 5.44 oz's. that's up from 2.88, 4.16 and 4.8 :D We're at day 5/6

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The runt should be at 4 ounces by 7 days. The other two are way ahead on weight! :)

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
they're noticeably chunkier.. lol.

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Te mom and the two remaining kittens. The kittens weigh 6.8 oz and 7.52 oz. They're gaining just over half an oz each per day.

Skyeclad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one question... how warm should I be keeping the room?

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
That chunky little kitten sleeping on mommas belly! The room should be around 72 degrees.... kittens that have mom get a lot of warmth from them so I don't usually worry about keeping the room significantly warmer.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will be blessed for your kindness and care shown to that mama cat, she is so lucky to have found you, it was meant to be!
I'm so very sorry for your losing the other kittens, it saddens the heart to lose those so innocent, I'll pray that you all find health and happiness in your future.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
The runt died this week? Sorry you've had those losses, but the other two look good. How is mama doing?