A True Egyptian Mau?

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friends claims that her cat is 100% Egyptian mau. She has a pedigree for him that is available as soon as he is fixed according to the person she got him from, but as soon as she brought him home, she unfriended her. I guess she was also breeding munchkin egyptian maus? Is that possible? Does he look 100% Egyptian mau to you guys?

FDD29FE6-FD67-41A5-9F09-2CED9D664ABD.jpeg
4D9D88E8-7C34-4748-B813-0454C42BC434.jpeg
2DD3D78E-1B44-4AF0-B045-5E000A485D86.jpeg

Edit: Also has anyone found out what causes the spotted gene? Is it recessive to the mackerel gene?

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is no gene for spotting. The two separate loci which control mackerel/blotched and ticked/non-ticked are acted upon by a modifier on a third locus which, in certain inheritance combinations, causes the striped pattern to be transformed into a clear spotted pattern.

The cat in the photo above gives every visual indication of being an Egyptian Mau. Mau (and Bahraini Dilmun) genetics are an entirely different ball of alleles wax.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Thestarcatcher

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is no gene for spotting. The two separate loci which control mackerel/blotched and ticked/non-ticked are acted upon by a modifier on a third locus which, in certain inheritance combinations, causes the striped pattern to be transformed into a clear spotted pattern.

The cat in the photo above gives every visual indication of being an Egyptian Mau. Mau (and Bahraini Dilmun) genetics are an entirely different ball of alleles wax.
So if the Egyptian Mau was to breed with a regular domestic mackerel tabby, the offspring would all be mackerel? I heard that their genes of being spotted only show when both parents are of the Egyptian Mau descent.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In real life, is he brownish or is he silverish? In both cases, he looks as an EM, although the silverish is theirs trade mark, so to speak.

spotted or mackerel? As I think I remember, the mackerel dominates over spotted.
If so, its not sure you will get copies if mated with a mackerel tabby.
But mated with a non tabby, you will get spotted childs.
As he is purebred, perhaps even all will be spotted.

Observe, my understanding of the tabby genes is only partial. Its nicely pedagogic, easy to explain and in practice works all right, BUT its not complete and in part, its really false. The science behind is much more complicated than my basic model... That is why my and 1CatOverTheLine 1CatOverTheLine explanations do differs. Hers knowledge is the scientific. The conclusion is more or less the same, but the explanations quite different.

An aside note. Observe your friend isnt telling the whole truth, if she hints the breeder broke the connections. I think it was your friend whom broke the connections. Look, the main point from the breeder was your friend shouldnt breed on this tom, but neuter him as soon it becomes feasible (in many countries they dont believe in early neuterings, not even all USA vets do it). Such agreement is thus very common. And apparently she isnt following the agreements purpose, as she does plan to mate him and hope to get spotted copies...

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
If she has a pedigree on him, he is for sure an Egyptian Mau, and a gorgeous one at that! It’s not uncommon for breeders to send the pedigree after the cat has been neutered, because they want to be sure that the new owners don’t start backyard breeding.