A Substitute Medication For Cisapride

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I have a kitty with stomach issues (constipation, lazy bowels, a slight widening of the colon at the very end) and I'm on a quest to find a way for her to live a normal life, without constant vet visits etc. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with a drug that could replace cisapride, as I can't find in my country at this particular moment. I will of course ask the vet, but I like to be prepared. I found a number of drugs that act like gastrokinetics, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience that could help me?
I have so far tried laxatives (I'm hunting for Miralax as we speak, which is also not available here) and all sorts of dietary changes - pumpkin, fiber, psyllium, butter, cooked food, raw food, canned food, probiotics, egg yolk... (I already posted a number of times about this issue here) - but nothing worked well enough to prevent (pardon my expression) poop from being stuck in her bum :) This is why I'm looking into medication now (she is also, from a few days ago, taking xanax, as she has issues with anxiety that probably added to her stomach problems, so I'm waiting to see if there are any results in the rear area as well). I'm aware of the fact that constipation and bowel problems are long-term issues, but I can't really stop trying to help her :)
Thank you all!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give psyllium husk to my cat in her food and Miralax. Maybe you can get that Miralax off Amazon since you can't find it.
I'm also planning on trying a new food Science Diet Hairball #54 which I'm getting off Amazon because I can't find it in the store. It's supposed to have more fiber and a balanced probiotic.
I also saw a Science Diet Gastrointestinal formula on Amazon, specifically for constipated cats but it was $87. for an 8 lb. bag!!!!!!!!!!
Honestly, I don't know why they don't make more cat foods high in fiber. Everyone I know has issues with constipation and their cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I've tried both (lactulose instead of Miralax) and it did help a bit. She is eating Farmina Pet Foods - Cat food - Farmina Vet Life feline - Hairball feline, as it has a lot of fiber, but doesn't make her stools too bulky and hard (like other Gastrointestinal foods) and has dehydrated chicken as well (she is allergic to chicken, so our options are more limited when it comes to veterinary food). I soak her kibble in water to make it softer, which also helps a bit. My reason for asking about medication was because I couldn't help her just with food. :) And yes, I'd have to spend more than $100 per month if I tried ordering everything from Amazon (providing they deliver to Serbia) and I honestly don't have that much money to spend on cat food.

jwhite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i think cisapride has to be made to order since they took it off the market for humans.. your vet will know a place that makes up individual medicines... miralax i bought it off amazon.. it took five days to come to nz... hope this helps :)

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jwhite jwhite I didn't know that little detail about cisapride :) Weird, as it can be found normally in a number of my neighboring countries. I'll never understand the mysterious ways in which the pharmaceutical world works :D As for Miralax, it is quite expensive for me to buy - and Amazon doesn't deliver food, pet supplies and meds to Serbia, but I managed to order it on eBay - , however, if it works as well as everyone says, I guess it's worth it. Maybe I'll even save money on vet visits, not to mention my and kitty's nerves. I would like to find another form of a gastrokinetic drug, just in case :) Thank you!

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By the way, Timmer Timmer how much psyllium do you give your kitty? I'm looking to make her stool very soft, but not runny, so I'm wondering if you have any specific dosage system?

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I broke a capsule in half and sprinkled less than half of it over the wet food, just once a day. I'd say a third of a capsule. Mixed it in. I guess that was my system :-)
When I got her going again, I stopped it. I just sort of wanted to get things working again.
And just so we are clear, I didn't give Miralax and psyllium at the same time. One or the other. They both worked.

adrianne259

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I broke a capsule in half and sprinkled less than half of it over the wet food, just once a day. I'd say a third of a capsule. Mixed it in. I guess that was my system :-)
When I got her going again, I stopped it. I just sort of wanted to get things working again.
And just so we are clear, I didn't give Miralax and psyllium at the same time. One or the other. They both worked.
I'm beginning to realize that her issue is quite special and that all the things I've been trying are actually working - her digestion is just fine, but the very end of the "road" is giving her trouble, probably due to a "mechanical" reason, like weak muscles or damaged nerves. Thank you for the advice, hopefully, I will find something that will help her.
Thank you M mingsmongols , I will ask about Reglan too!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, that happens. Eventually things won't work anymore. You can only do so much.
Years ago I had an older cat with mega colon that I gave enemas too. She had arthritis in her spine so it was painful for her to go. She associated pain with moving her bowels and we suspect that's why she got the mega colon. I kept her going way past what should have been the end, and I regret it.