A stray Mau

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am hoping to find a picture of this cat that a friend of a friend found. I live in a tiny town on Vancouver Island, and I am the ONLY Mau breeder I know within 500 miles, but a Mau has shown up on the street here. My housekeeper/friend is friends with a lady who picked up a stray from her alley. Seeing the cat, my housekeeper called me right away but all of my cats are accounted for and I haven't even placed any cats closer than 200 km away from me (and that was years ago). The lady brought the cat to her vet, who just happens to be my Aunt, and my Aunt called me too. Apparently this cat is a silver male boy, about 1/2 a year old. He is not neutered yet, but the lady plans to keep him and neuter him, if the owners don't come forward.

Both my housekeeper and my Aunt are very familiar with my cats, and I trust that they know what they are talking about. Possibly the cat may be an Ocicat or a silver Bengal I suppose, but they both said he's the spitting image of my cats.

I've asked my housekeeper to get some pics of this boy, and I know that the lady who has him is open to finding his owners.

I just find it interesting that such a rare purebred cat could be found on the street in my hometown.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How strange, no microchip?

I'm not aware of an Oci breeder in BC

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet scanned for a chip. I don't chip my cats though, so maybe not surprising.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The vet scanned for a chip. I don't chip my cats though, so maybe not surprising.
 You dont? what reason?

I know 10 years ago many vets recommended not to chip when them too young, the risk for wandering was higher.  So we for example did chipped our residents first as adults, about 10 months  (RUS).

I though it was standard nowadays for all breeders to chip already as kitten before they are sold.   And thus the easiest way to find if a found stray look alike was pure breed was to see if it is microchipped or at least tattooed.

But if you do not do, so perhaps more breeders doenst??

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lola and Benny weren't chipped when I got them in July.  They were 2 weeks later.  Many or most UK breeders don't seem to chip, but I intend to.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some states here it's illegal to sell kittens/cats without a microchip, though most breeders were doing it years before the laws. No such law on my state but I get all the kittens done when they're desexed at 10 weeks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mostly because in the tiny town where I live, vets don't keep current on that type of equipment. Also because my mentors aren't avid chippers, they haven't found it necessary.

I just checked with the lady whose opinion I value highest in the Mau world and she has not microchipped any of her cats. I would definitely have it done if a buyer requested it however.

I also ask my buyers about tattooing, as vets here like to do it in the cat's ear. With a white silver Mau, the black marks are very noticeable and I don't have it done. I guess with cats that never go outside it doesn't seem imperative - but if asked I would have it done.

Last edited:

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here you must have your cats chipped if you're going to show them or breed with them. All of my cats are chipped (even the ones who are 'just pets') and I microchip the kittens too.