A Stray Cat Guarding My House After Giving It Food, Is It Sick And Asking For Help?

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The cat meows a lot when I sit next to it at the house door. It won't allow me to touch it, and won't go inside. It looks sick, what should I do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I should have used a more attractive and informative title. How do I edit?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks like he's vomiting. Can you trap him in a humane trap and take to the vet or a rescue?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you ask a shelter, vet, or TNR organization if they will let you rent or borrow a trap? Then set up the trap where you last saw him and put some food in the back. I’ve seen success with tuna, fried chicken, oysters, or just plain wet cat food. You can then take him to the vet and get him medication and neutered if he isn’t already.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

The cat is smart and won't be fooled with food. Anyway, I got the cat with a surprise attack using clothes basket to drag it inside then picked it up with leather gloves. Got bitten and infected through the gloves, but no regret. The cat didn't escape and I learned something new; that leather gloves can't prevent damage.

Ok ...I don't know what to do next. I'm planning to force the cat inside a bag and take it to a vet.

If you have better ideas to do it easier or without anyone getting hurt please tell me.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for trying to help him @AIice Poor guy looks really sick.

Putting him in a bag isn't the best way to get him to the vet. You'll get bitten again and he could easily claw out of a bag and escape on the way.

The best way to try and move him is with a humane trap. Call your vet or ask a local rescue if they have one you can borrow.

Is he still in your house now? Keep him confined to one room, set the trap up in the room he is in with food inside and just wait until he goes in.

It might take a while, but if he is hungry he'll eventually go in.

If you think you have an infection get some antibiotics as soon as you can. Feral cat bites can be very dangerous.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, all that work and you didn't get him in a carrier or trap? I hope you're okay. You don't have any kind of carrier to put him in? I can't think of anything else to put a feral cat in. We only used the pillowcase method on regular tame cats when I was a kid.