A strange scab grew on my cat's skin

Sini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is 6 years old and female.
My cat underwent neutralization surgery on December 21, 2021, and on December 23, 2021, a nail-sized scab was formed on the upper skin of the surgical site.
At that time, I thought my cat was scratched somewhere, wounded, and scabbed. On that day, the animal hospital disinfected the surgical site, and the doctor did not mention the scab.
Until January 2, 2022, the scab on the skin remained almost the same and the surgical site was healed well.
However, on the evening of January 3, when I checked my cat's belly, the scab grew bigger and the surrounding skin was swollen. And there was a little pus coming out. The surgical site was also swollen in pink.
I will go there with my cat as soon as the veterinary hospital opens.
What is the scab on my cat's skin?
I'm worried about my cat.
For reference, my cat has been wearing a neck collar since the day of neutralization surgery, so the cat could not lick it.
Please tell me what this is.

Attachments

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I can't for certain answer your question. To me it looks like a bit of the incision has opened and a possible infection has taken hold. It's good that you'll be getting your cat in to see the vet as that doesn't look normal or really good at all. In the mean time try to keep that area clean and monitor your cat. The vets will be able to help you after they get a good look at this. Also these things happen cats are natorious for removing their own stitches in many ways. It could also be that the area rubbed on something like the side of the litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sorry I can't for certain answer your question. To me it looks like a bit of the incision has opened and a possible infection has taken hold. It's good that you'll be getting your cat in to see the vet as that doesn't look normal or really good at all. In the mean time try to keep that area clean and monitor your cat. The vets will be able to help you after they get a good look at this. Also these things happen cats are natorious for removing their own stitches in many ways. It could also be that the area rubbed on something like the side of the litter box.
Thank you for replying.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, how soon can you get your cat back to the Vet?
It definitely looks like an infection.
Sometimes cats have a reaction to the sutures or stitches being used...but this looks more like a skin infection.
She will probably need antibiotics.

Edit to add: you are very good for having noticed this...and for having gotten your cat spayed.

Sini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, how soon can you get your cat back to the Vet?
It definitely looks like an infection.
Sometimes cats have a reaction to the sutures or stitches being used...but this looks more like a skin infection.
She will probably need antibiotics.

Edit to add: you are very good for having noticed this...and for having gotten your cat spayed.
Thanks for replying. The vet opens in 4 hours. it's night here

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying. The vet opens in 4 hours. it's night here
That's great.
Maybe you can text them, or email them a photo,...like the one above, too. :bluepaw:
It's just really good that you noticed the yellowish pus, and hot pinkish skin.

If you have the time, we would love to see a photo of your cat from the front, and her name, too.
Only if you want to post, though,..no pressure. :blush:
Plus, if it's night time...you should probably be getting plenty of rest and sleep, too.
We just really love photos, here on the Cat Site.:)

Please update us, after your Vet visit, or what your Vet says.
Wishing you and your cat all the best...and sending fast healing thoughts, too. :vibes::vibes::caticon:

Sini

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying.
I went to the vet with my cat.
At the veterinary hospital where my cat underwent neutralization surgery, the doctor said he was not sure why the scab came out. He said that a scab formed far from the neutralization surgery site of my cat and the surgery site healed well without any problems.
My cat has diarrhea when taking antibiotics, so the doctor gave my cat an antibiotic injection and prescribed ointment on the scab.
The doctor said he was not sure why the scab occurred, so I went to another vet. The doctor at another vet said that my cat probably tried to lick or scratch the surgical site, but failed because of the neck collar and scratched the other part, resulting in a slight scratch.
My cat hate plastic neck collar, so I put on a fabric neck collar.
The doctor said the fabric neck collar is soft and folds well, so it doesn't function well.
The reason why my cat's scab got bigger is because my cat was itchy and got bigger by rubbing, licking, or scratching it with her feet.

Anyway, my cat eats well, sleeps well, and plays well with toys now. I guess it doesn't hurt that much.
As the doctor advised, I put a plastic neck collar on my cat and put the prescribed ointment on the scab.
The doctor told me to apply ointment on the scab 3 times a day and visit the cat 3 days later.

I'll show you a picture of my cute cat. Her name is Sini Kim. She's so nice and cute.

That's great.
Maybe you can text them, or email them a photo,...like the one above, too. :bluepaw:
It's just really good that you noticed the yellowish pus, and hot pinkish skin.

If you have the time, we would love to see a photo of your cat from the front, and her name, too.
Only if you want to post, though,..no pressure. :blush:
Plus, if it's night time...you should probably be getting plenty of rest and sleep, too.
We just really love photos, here on the Cat Site.:)

Please update us, after your Vet visit, or what your Vet says.
Wishing you and your cat all the best...and sending fast healing thoughts, too. :vibes::vibes::caticon:

Thank you for replying.
At the veterinary hospital where my cat underwent neutralization surgery, the doctor said he was not sure why the scab came out. He said that a scab formed far from the neutralization surgery site of my cat and the surgery site healed well without any problems.
My cat has diarrhea when taking antibiotics, so the doctor gave my cat an antibiotic injection and prescribed ointment on the scab.
The doctor said he was not sure why the scab occurred, so I went to another vet. The doctor at another vet said that my cat probably tried to lick or scratch the surgical site, but failed because of the neck collar and scratched the other part, resulting in a slight scratch.
The doctor said the fabric neck collar is soft and folds well, so it doesn't function well.
The reason why my cat's scab got bigger is because my cat was itchy and got bigger by rubbing, licking, or scratching it with her feet.

Anyway, my cat eats well, sleeps well, and plays well with toys now. I guess it doesn't hurt that much.
As the doctor advised, I put a plastic neck collar on my cat and put the prescribed ointment on the scab.
The doctor told me to apply ointment on the scab 3 times a day and visit the cat 3 days later.

I'll show you a picture of my cute cat. Her name is Sini Kim. She's so nice and cute. 69B4DE3A-3EE3-4325-A0A5-97ABBDFB7F63.jpeg A1BDAFBF-E035-4790-9411-31E8AC3AF6C8.jpeg 7144AAB6-F513-4606-8F96-24773523D573.jpeg FBBEC61A-C6BB-4FE4-90C8-1D95D8284B22.jpeg

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for replying.

I'll show you a picture of my cute cat. Her name is Sini Kim. She's so nice and cute.
Thank you so much for the update! ...and for the photos, too. :wave3:
That makes a lot of sense, that your cat was feeling itchy at the incision site,..and then tried to scratch the itch...with her back feet, causing that huge scab.
So glad that you got her checked by the Vet, and got the antibiotic and ointment, too.

She looks slightly annoyed or a little bit upset...in the first photo...with her soft cone on her neck. :)
But still so adorable. :blush:
That cone looks so soft and comfortable...like a neck pillow.

I really like how your Sini Kim has beautiful tabby stripe markings, and cute ears, eyes and nose,...with long whiskers.
She is really cute. :loveeyes:
Plus, those white coloured paws...looks like she is wearing white boots...or white gloves on. 🙂

Thank you again for the good update.
Hopefully, your Sini Kim heals very fast in the next few days.
Sending you both,...all best wishes. :catrub:and :goodluck: