A solitary Bengal?

rayjiano

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My friend is looking into getting a Bengal and was curious if they it will do well with only human companionship? He doesn't want it to become fat, lonely and depressed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your friend need s to have a few conversations with different bengal breeders... Each cat is different but a general rule is two kittens is better than one

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's absolutely possible having a solitary happy bengal. Just ask my Nikita

However it is *a lot* of work for the human owner to keep the cat happy. When you're the only outlet for playing for an active cat like bengals tend to be it can be really exhausting.

Also if they get bored they are smart enough to really quickly find things to amuse themselves, like climbing up drapes, pushing things off shelves. Shredding clothes lying around. Jumping all over counters and tables and even 'hunting' feet walking around or hands that are moving etc.

So if you friend is prepared to rearrange their house to suit the cat better (plenty of climbing spots etc.) and are willing to play with the cat 1-2 hours of a solid focused one on one play time with the cat every single day for the first 3 years or so (it does get a bit easier as the cat grows up) then sure it can work.

If they skip out on the play time they should not be upset at the cat if it goes and destroys things or acts up. It's just trying to get rid of energy it has no other way to get rid of.

It's definitely easier to have two so they can tire each other out, it's not quite as much of a responsibility etc. but if for some reason you're limited to a single cat it can definitely work. With the caveats I've added in.

Here's a video I put together showing my Nikita's energy level when she's going:

Looks like fun, and it is, but remember it's every single day no matter how hard your day was or how tired you are. The cat need her playtime, bit like needing to walk a large dog.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most Bengals do better with another active cat or dog in the house. If your friend cannot have more then one pet, I suggest he seek breeders and ask if they have any Bengals that need to be "only" cats.

Sometimes you get an older cat that just prefers to be alone. If he wants a single kitten in the house, I would strongly discourage it.

We tell people who ask about our Ocicats - that they do NOT do well as a single cat. Of course you do have exceptions and can find adults that prefer being only cats.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There ARE some Bengals that really NEED to be an only cat, but in general, most Bengals need the companionship of others to stay happy.

Definitely have your friend do what GK suggests, as sometimes it can be tougher to find a home for a Bengal who needs to be an "only."

But do have your friend do their research and be prepared to provide that cat what he/she needs to stay as happy as possible.