A Solar Storm Is Raging These Days. Animals Might Be Better Indoors

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These past days we are experiencing a "solar storm", which makes sun radiation way stronger. Sun radiation's the very thing that causes melanoma (cancer) in people, and pets too. So I wanted to suggest to keep your pets (specially those with white in their furrs) inside. The thing is, this happens since friday, and now saturday and sunday... and yeah, I realize it's kind of late, I'm sorry I couldn't come here earlier.

I don't want to create paraoia. It's just that it worried me. For those who have seen my other posts, you know my cat has melanoma (this cancer caused by the sun). I read about it and it seems we have been experiencing extremely powerful sun storms all year, in particular may, june and now, september. And june was when my cat was diagnosed, so I can't help but make the association. I'd too suggest you give your pets a checkup at the vet.

From what I read, during these "storms" astronauts in orbit are asked to wear protection to prevent cancer from all things... and down on Earth, it interfeers with machines and can commonly cause a few health issues like headaches and other syntoms, so we know we are affected to a degree. I didn't think about what it could do to animals until a few days ago... I don't know. It might be nothing. I don't want to worry anyone. I just thought I'd mention it and hope a little prevention helps anyone...

Solar storm warning: Cataclysmic storms are inevitable – Expect tech and power blackouts
Space weather forecast: Earth being battered by solar storm which could lead to auroras

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the double-post. I just wanted to add the articles are from Express.co.uk but you can do a google search yourself. This wasn't even my first source (it was RT, but the articule was in Spanish).

Another thing I read is that polyethylene (plastic as those of trashbags) is supposed to be good for containing radiation.

Maybe it's ridiculous but I made a little roof made of plastic in the place my kitty usually rests. I feel like the oddballs who wear hats made of tinfoil to stop the government from reading their thoughts... Desperation makes us do weird things.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You shouldn't feel one bit bad about doing some prevention for your baby, and for alerting the rest of us. I certainly appreciate it because it's nothing to be messed with :)!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

NadiaRey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't feel one bit bad about doing some prevention for your baby, and for alerting the rest of us. I certainly appreciate it because it's nothing to be messed with :)!
Thank you for saying that. I *am* a bit worried this will read as a wackjob causing a panic needlessly.

The amount of UV rays that reach the Earth doesn't really increase much during a solar storm :).

Will Sunscreen Protect You From the Solar Flares?
I think there's a difference of streght between a solar flare and a solar storm... and that these recent ones were stronger than even the usual strong/storm ones.

Then again, they did say it was going to cause machine malfunctions everywhere too, and I at least haven't suffered much of that... outside a short blackout two days ago. And my computer broke but that was wednesday.

So I guess it is possible this is another example of media inflating a situation for clickbaiting... hoping that's the case. The event ends tonight anyways. Though I'd err in the side of caution and do check ups anyways.