A sign of things to come?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kuro, male, 5 months old, is fond of bringing in fallen, dry leaves from the outside. He plays with them for hours until he finds something else to do (like wrestling with his sisters). He has been successful in catching butterflies and other insects that manage to get in the house. Sometimes I think Kuro wants to convert the living room into an indoor garden or something.  

My older cats have brought in stuff but they were more like presents to me and they seem not to care what I would do with them once I got them.

Is this a phase for Kuro? Or is he unable to differentiate between the indoors and the outdoors? 

tobytyler

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is this a phase for Kuro? Or is he unable to differentiate between the indoors and the outdoors? 
I think Kuro thinks a toy is a toy.  With the cooler weather, I've been getting flies inside.  I don't even need a fly swatter with Rufus around.  These are one of his favorite toys, he'll play with a fly until it's dead and then eat it (yuk, I hope this isn't harmful but certainly they eat flies in the wild.)  He gets mad if I try to take the fly away.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a kitten and most kittens, in my experience, have some odd habits that they outgrow. When Louie was a kitten/young cat, his idea of fun was running up and down the sides of the round bales, something he quit doing by 18 months, unless he wanted to use the bales as a vantage point. The Spotted Wonder......er Da Magpie...used to chew cardboard, not swallow it but chew it into soggy bits that she left in heaps for me to step in at night. She quit before she was a year old but loves boxes for hiding in and claw sharpening. Blue would run madly from me, hissing and growling; that stopped by 5 months.

Lots of kittens are obcessed with leaves and drag them around and play with them.....who knows, maybe the leaves smell nice to them. At any rate, it is part of the growing and learning experience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! You are both right of course. It is strange though that his sisters are not at all like him. They play with leaves and insects but outside and never bring stuff indoors like their brother.