A shocking claim!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just read this on a package of Blue Wilderness kibble....this was one of the benefits touted on the back of the package....
"A Convenient Alternative to a Raw Diet"

Blue Wilderness is a sensible alternative to raw diets, which are considerably less convenient to prepare and must be monitored for stability and freshness if not fully consumed.
And yes, our dirty little secret here is that my cats do get a very small spoonful of kibble as a midday snack.  I went with Blue Wilderness because it is grain free and can be picked up at PetSmart.  (Not that I have to buy it often because they eat such tiny amounts.)  They have never had kibble as a meal since we adopted them, so they were never addicts. 

I thought about using Stella and Chewy's as a snack, but even in snack amounts it is not affordable.  Lucy (our stomatitis kitty) does get S and C, not the kibble, as her snack because I will only feed her raw.  And we use S and C as toppers or occasional replacement meals (if someone vomits...which is rare) for the other kitties too.

Anyways, I thought the "Alternative to Raw" claim was interesting, amusing, outrageous....take your pick. 

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting that a commercial processed pet food manufacturer is trashing raw diets on their product label. Maybe they are starting to get seriously worried about how the increasing popularity of raw diets might affect their bottom line.

Also interesting that their claim can be made about *any* processed commercial food. That is, they are all more convenient. Do they make any other claim about being better than raw other than the convenience factor? I'm lumping the "stability" and "freshness" claim under "convenience".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's funny because it is sort of trashing, sort of a compliment.  The fact that they compare themselves to Raw means they know that it is considered desirable. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess they don't realize there is commercial raw food, that's just as easy to "prepare" and feed as a canned food is? I know this is on a bag of kibble, but....

I mean - ANY canned food isn't as convenient as kibble, if people free feed the kibble. Really freaking odd!

I really hate that company.

Last edited:

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are seeing all of the big companies talking about raw, how no mere person can possibly feed their animals by themselves and how costly/inconvenient/time consuming raw is.  Clearly they are concerned, you saw the same thing about "grain free", they said it was a fad and too much protein for dogs and how great carbs for pets and now all those companies have grain free lines which is hilarious. 

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Also comparing any kibble to raw is silly, one is fresh and full of moisture and the other is highly processed, cooked and meant to sit on a shelf for months.  Imagine, the idea of having to monitor your pets food to make sure it's fresh.  How inconvenient.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Also comparing any kibble to raw is silly, one is fresh and full of moisture and the other is highly processed, cooked and meant to sit on a shelf for months.  Imagine, the idea of having to monitor your pets food to make sure it's fresh.  How inconvenient. :lol3:
:flail: Yes, make sure you leave it in the original packaging, and check those dates!